PDA

View Full Version : Sudden increase of registrations by native Japanese

markits
5th February 2007, 02:06 PM
I have been monitoring quite a lot of Japanese keywords, hesitating on whether I should reg them. However, I just found out that most of these terms were regged in Value-domains by various people in the last few days. For an example, ノーローン, the com and net was regged on Jan 31st by a same person and the jp was gone on Feb 1st, all at value domains.

Also, ie7 related searches have gone up sharply at yahoo jp (ovt), from nearly nothing to 90794 ie7 and 17779 ie7 ダウンロード (ie7 download).

domainguru
5th February 2007, 02:16 PM
I have been monitoring quite a lot of Japanese keywords, hesitating on whether I should reg them. However, I just found out that most of these terms were regged in Value-domains by various people in the last few days. For an example, ノーローン, the com and net was regged on Jan 31st by a same person and the jp was gone on Feb 1st, all at value domains.

Also, ie7 related searches have gone up sharply at yahoo jp (ovt), from nearly nothing to 90794 ie7 and 17779 ie7 ダウンロード (ie7 download).

Scan your PC for a trojan originating in Japan :p

markits
5th February 2007, 02:21 PM
LOL.
I wish it's not a trojan...

touchring
5th February 2007, 02:29 PM
I remembered encountering a website or websites that archives newly registered domains - you can run through the types of IDNs registered - more than half are chinese.

markits
5th February 2007, 02:39 PM
Maybe This time is different!

touchring
5th February 2007, 02:56 PM
Maybe This time is different!

Heh, quite possible, the world is crazy these days.

But i'm actually more interested in finding out how much further my JP PPC can go. It has gone up 123% since October. I believe that FF/IE7 mktshare has increased substantially the 3 months. Have you logged any stats?

Rubber Duck
5th February 2007, 02:59 PM
Heh, quite possible, the world is crazy these days.

But i'm actually more interested in finding out how much further my JP PPC can go. It has gone up 123% since October. I believe that FF/IE7 mktshare has increased substantially the 3 months. Have you logged any stats?

You are like a boy on a beach building sandcastles in front of a Tsunami.

The only way you are going to get a sensible picture is to draw parallels with similar sudden events. To do that you will have to look at the history of established domain markets.

markits
5th February 2007, 03:08 PM
I guess the real interesting time will be when rubberduck sees a sudden increase of domains enquires.

Rubber Duck
5th February 2007, 03:21 PM
I guess the real interesting time will be when rubberduck sees a sudden increase of domains enquires.

Perhaps I should start decoding a few more of the emails I get from the Far East.

To be honest with you at the moment, if it is not in English I generally delete it.

touchring
5th February 2007, 03:22 PM
You are like a boy on a beach building sandcastles in front of a Tsunami.

The only way you are going to get a sensible picture is to draw parallels with similar sudden events. To do that you will have to look at the history of established domain markets.

Yes, i see your point of view. I'm also waiting for that tsunami like everyone else here. But waiting is tough business, so we need to occupy ourselves with trifles.

markits
5th February 2007, 03:27 PM
Perhaps I should start decoding a few more of the emails I get from the Far East.

To be honest with you at the moment, if it is not in English I generally delete it.

Use google translator. You may see some juicy offers.

Rubber Duck
5th February 2007, 03:29 PM
Yes, I do when I can be bothered but first off, you need to change the encoding to get the Unicode characters in the first place.

I get an awful lot of junk mail from China, so one needs to be selective!

bwhhisc
5th February 2007, 04:31 PM
Yes, I do when I can be bothered but first off, you need to change the encoding to get the Unicode characters in the first place.
I get an awful lot of junk mail from China, so one needs to be selective!

Easier than that as I learned from "Fka200" last night. :)

Just have the email up on the screen, and click on "View", then click on "Encoding", then pick some logical language choices.
There are multiple choices beyond the main menu if you click the "more" tab.
I used the Chinese Simplified (HZ) to translate the most recent.

When you pick a langage it automatically changes the e-mail to that language, then cut and paste into translator.

Rubber Duck
5th February 2007, 05:13 PM
That's what I actually meant, but when you get several dozen a day, it just easier to click delete.

Easier than that as I learned from "Fka200" last night. :)

Just have the email up on the screen, and click on "View", then click on "Encoding", then pick some logical language choices.
There are multiple choices beyond the main menu if you click the "more" tab.
I used the Chinese Simplified (HZ) to translate the most recent.

When you pick a langage it automatically changes the e-mail to that language, then cut and paste into translator.

bwhhisc
5th February 2007, 09:36 PM
That's what I actually meant, but when you get several dozen a day, it just easier to click delete.

I am getting spammers now from my who.is. info.

markits
5th February 2007, 11:58 PM
Back to my thread topic, I don't think it is kinda coincidence. It does seem very strange.

Does this mean there is a jump of idn awareness in Japan?

Olney
6th February 2007, 12:06 AM
The registries have made domains dirt cheap to spur people to register domains.
Big Internet related companies have always been registering but haven't done testing (nothing obvious), bloggers have been registering their blog names recently.
There's one Big server rental service named Lollipop, they haven't starting selling IDNs yet. They cater to the internet novice & I believe when they do offer it they'll probably try to make it so the customer doesn't even see punycode.

It's not as much as we own here (the average member on IDNF) but even the consultants in my office own about 50 IDNs since last month.

seamo
6th February 2007, 12:11 AM
The registries have made domains dirt cheap to spur people to register domains.
Big Internet related companies have always been registering but haven't done testing (nothing obvious), bloggers have been registering their blog names recently.
There's one Big server rental service named Lollipop, they haven't starting selling IDNs yet. They cater to the internet novice & I believe when they do offer it they'll probably try to make it so the customer doesn't even see punycode.

It's not as much as we own here (the average member on IDNF) but even the consultants in my office own about 50 IDNs since last month.
The beginning of the tsunami of IDN awareness...;)

rhys
6th February 2007, 04:44 AM
Wait, is that a tide I see rising?..........

markits
6th February 2007, 05:19 AM
rhys,
Time to push people around you to grab some .com and .jp now before it's too late.

I thought "ebank" is a TM and did not reg the .jp even though I own the com and net (good traffic). But it was picked up by a native few days ago.