PDA

View Full Version : Sudden increase in .ws registration by Americans

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 02:19 AM
Its true. The Americans have struck again!
All the top keywords in korean/chinese/japanese GONE

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 02:20 AM
Its true. The Americans have struck again!

How many did you get Cowboy?

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 02:22 AM
How many did you get Cowboy?
0. They are all being taken fast!

thegenius1
6th February 2007, 02:31 AM
I've learned a vital lesson in the domain Game...

When they are gone they are Gone !

Olney
6th February 2007, 02:43 AM
Most of the members here already have tons of Premium domains in the most used extensions in various languages. You shouldn't have to worry.

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 02:46 AM
Most of the members here already have tons of Premium domains in the most used extensions in various languages. You shouldn't have to worry.

That is not entirely true. A very small number of members here have tons of premiums.

thegenius1
6th February 2007, 02:55 AM
No No Worries here , but just a little bit of advice for those who never heard that saying

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 02:57 AM
a ton of premium korean/japanese are actually owned by korean natives

mulligan
6th February 2007, 03:00 AM
It could be the ASCII naysayers filling up, not much real quality left in other extensions

markits
6th February 2007, 03:34 AM
Someone grabbed some .WSs of my com domains. I grabbed 20 WSs of someone's com domains (for revenge, lol).
Including:
宝くじ.ws (lottery. ovt above one million).
金融.ws (finance. ovt about half million and $20 per click).

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 03:50 AM
Someone grabbed some .WSs of my com domains. I grabbed 20 WSs of someone's com domains (for revenge, lol).
Including:
宝くじ.ws (lottery. ovt above one million).
金融.ws (finance. ovt about half million and $20 per click).
Top words in korean/japanese/chinese are now gone! .ws!!!!

Hebrew is now dwindling down lol

Olney
6th February 2007, 04:13 AM
Are you guys regging because you see value in the extensions or just because everyone else is? I think about my portfolio budget & buying other extensions would be a personal concern.

touchring
6th February 2007, 04:30 AM
That is not entirely true. A very small number of members here have tons of premiums.

One of first lessons i learn in domaining (i paid about a thousand plus for this lesson) is not to compare with other members, just buy what you think is good value and can make money in the future. We're here to make money, not to compete on who has a better portfolio. Anyone here who can't control his/her greed is not going to have a good time later.

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 04:35 AM
There is nothing to compete about in existing extensions. Once the good names are gone, they aren't making any more of them in that extension, unless some drop. Either you have it, or you don't and you are stuck with second rate domains and combos.

The only competition that goes on is with fresh extensions like .info and .ws recently, where people were loosing out names to each other each minute because hand registering is too slow.

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 04:35 AM
Are you guys regging because you see value in the extensions or just because everyone else is? I think about my portfolio budget & buying other extensions would be a personal concern.
Hebrew .ws top names are now being registered

There are still open regs in Russian and Arabic

Korean/Japanese/Korean is wiped out!
sokol bought every major chinese city in .ws as well

markits
6th February 2007, 04:38 AM
I personally think that .ws is crappy and waste of time and money. 20 for me and that's it!

touchring
6th February 2007, 04:54 AM
There is nothing to compete about in existing extensions. Once the good names are gone, they aren't making any more of them in that extension, unless some drop. Either you have it, or you don't and you are stuck with second rate domains and combos.

The only competition that goes on is with fresh extensions like .info and .ws recently, where people were loosing out names to each other each minute because hand registering is too slow.

Well, then go for the .com/.net drops - which is extremely time consuming, i must admit - 4 months of drop catching, and the total catch barely earns me 10 bucks a mth on ND! I'm still yet to park the last 2 mth's names, keeping my fingers crossed. :X

Might be better to wait for IE7 stalemate to pass over, and then buy selectively on the secondary market?

I personally think that .ws is crappy and waste of time and money. 20 for me and that's it!

Let me guessed, you just had a baby boy? :)

markits
6th February 2007, 05:16 AM
Let me guessed, you just had a baby boy? :)

:confused:
No. I wish!

IDNer
6th February 2007, 05:36 AM
I found [株.ws] available sometimes this morning or last night ~

But not Now.....

Who is the lucky guy ?

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Wot
6th February 2007, 05:37 AM
My one and only .ws.

ç.cc

OOps- it's a .cc ;)

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 05:38 AM

Do as I say, not as I do? You got 20 of them yourself.... but call them a waste.

IDNer
6th February 2007, 05:39 AM
My one and only .ws.

ç.cc

OOps- it's a .cc ;)

You - Lucky

My - Mistake http://www.idnforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 05:43 AM
Wot, don't worry, Cowboy just bought a tree trunk 株.ws

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 05:46 AM
A tree trunk. Amazing premium you got. I'd say send it for a refund to the recycle bin. LOL

[EN] ; trunk of tree
[ZH] 株 [zhū] ← (a measure word, use with plants) lol ya i guess i'll request my dynadot refund ;P

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 06:26 AM
Most major languages are gone now.

Fka200
6th February 2007, 07:17 AM
Most major languages are gone now.

i remember laughing a month or so ago when i saw the .ws extension and figured it was sh1tty.

i guess i should laugh at myself now. bought some, :(. Sadly, no development plans either, i really don't like .ws. Do these even show up on google during index spikes ?? like the .com/.net spikes that sometimes happen?

rhys
6th February 2007, 07:30 AM
For some reason I feel no desire to buy .ws

touchring
6th February 2007, 07:30 AM
i remember laughing a month or so ago when i saw the .ws extension and figured it was sh1tty.

i guess i should laugh at myself now. bought some, :(. Sadly, no development plans either, i really don't like .ws. Do these even show up on google during index spikes ?? like the .com/.net spikes that sometimes happen?

Would suggest you buy the $25 to $80 chinese .net and .com on sale on this forum, "selectively" - check what i have bought the past mths - than spend your money chasing after the remaining .ws, whatever that is left.

Prodigy
6th February 2007, 08:42 AM
I beg to differ on the issue of all good names being gone for ws. I just picked up today and yesterday:

.ws domains:

店- Shop/ Store
八- Eight
经济- Economy
生意- Business
吉- Lucky name
福- Lucky name
喜- Lucky name
股票- Stocks

There are still quite a few out there, I just can't seem to make up my mind!

Rubber Duck
6th February 2007, 08:48 AM
Might be better to wait for IE7 stalemate to pass over, and then buy selectively on the secondary market?

Now that really is a bizarre statement. Paraphrased by Duck that equates to:

"I will buy when the prices have shot through the roof!"

On WS you are going to need to buy Super Premium Generics for them to be worth anything in my view. Check out Sedo. How often do you see dot WS go for big money in ASCII? There is no reason to assume that values in IDN will do any better.

thegenius1
6th February 2007, 08:55 AM
I found [株.ws] available sometimes this morning or last night ~

But not Now.....

Who is the lucky guy ?

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

i SEEN this ! WTF was i thinking not reggn it ? .... But then im puzzled when this awesome name doesnt even get a bid on auction , F it im raising the prices ;)

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/8993-%C2%A5%C2%A5%C2%A5%C2%A5-%E6%A0%AA-tv-stocks-tv-%C2%A5%C2%A5%C2%A5%C2%A5.html

touchring
6th February 2007, 09:22 AM
Now that really is a bizarre statement. Paraphrased by Duck that equates to:

"I will buy when the prices have shot through the roof!"

On WS you are going to need to buy Super Premium Generics for them to be worth anything in my view. Check out Sedo. How often do you see dot WS go for big money in ASCII? There is no reason to assume that values in IDN will do any better.

Well, actually, the funny thing is, for non-PPC domains, price is up to the market forces to define. Dot mobi price has shot through the roof and yet people are still buying, because they believe that price can go up further.

A stalemate is the worst thing for any market, the sellers do not want to sell, and the buyers lose interest due to lack of activity. Since it's difficult to buy in such a market, i rather take a wait and see approach.

For newbies, they can't wait, as you said, prices might shot through the roof, so people are chasing cola.com, like, basically trying to get their hands on anything. btw, perhaps RD should email the cola.com guy, and show him better names. This is good time to reap good profit. :)

Rubber Duck
6th February 2007, 10:10 AM
Well, actually, the funny thing is, for non-PPC domains, price is up to the market forces to define. Dot mobi price has shot through the roof and yet people are still buying, because they believe that price can go up further.

A stalemate is the worst thing for any market, the sellers do not want to sell, and the buyers lose interest due to lack of activity. Since it's difficult to buy in such a market, i rather take a wait and see approach.

For newbies, they can't wait, as you said, prices might shot through the roof, so people are chasing cola.com, like, basically trying to get their hands on anything. btw, perhaps RD should email the cola.com guy, and show him better names. This is good time to reap good profit. :)

Dot Mobi. No reported sales last week I believe. The Dot Mobi bubble has burst. It may come back but it will have to be judged on same values as everything else. In terms of PPC, it is actually a long way behind IDN.

sunsei21
6th February 2007, 10:16 AM
For some reason I feel no desire to buy .ws

i'm with you on this one they are only good from a webmaster point of view (id get a few keywords and test out) if you think idns are hard for people to swallow try throwing a .ws on the end now we talking untouchable :)

thegenius1
6th February 2007, 10:21 AM
I think i know who the B@st@rd is who got Dyndot servers down so they can wipe out the Rest of the WS's What a low blow man :rolleyes:

http://www.dynadot.com/domain/search2.html

seamo
6th February 2007, 10:27 AM
if you think idns are hard for people to swallow try throwing a .ws on the end now we talking untouchable
Some 'people' will never swallow anything IDN - regardless of extension.

Fortunately they're not our end-user target though, eh?

It's the billion's upon billion's of non-english speaking current and future internet users who just want to find a website URL in their own freakin' language - regardless if it's .com, .net, .this fad or .that fad ;)

I don't think they'll be as picky somehow.

Olney
6th February 2007, 10:31 AM
It might not be so in the rest of the languages but I'm just checking & can't find a registry in Japanese that offers more than IDN.com, IDN.net, & IDN.jp
I just looked at a couple of the big ones only. Domains that natives would use should be a priority. I don't know if anyone checked in other languages, but you should. This might change in the future but I thought someone should at least point it out.

seamo
6th February 2007, 10:54 AM
It might not be so in the rest of the languages but I'm just checking & can't find a registry in Japanese that offers more than IDN.com, IDN.net, & IDN.jp
I just looked at a couple of the big ones only. Domains that natives would use should be a priority. I don't know if anyone checked in other languages, but you should. This might change in the future but I thought someone should at least point it out.
Dumb question here Olney - but the importance of this is that if you are going to be selling a .ws to a native end-user they will have to maintain the reg at Dynadot or Domainsite and navigate the English interface?

bwhhisc
6th February 2007, 11:00 AM
Dumb question here Olney - but the importance of this is that if you are going to be selling a .ws to a native end-user they will have to maintain the reg at Dynadot or Domainsite and navigate the English interface?

In the end its all about the yen, dollar, or pound. Once .jp, .com, .net get scarce they will probably expand out the offerings of extensions. I can forsee dynadot and domainsite and others having foreign language registrations sites (like jp-domains offers for English speaking clients).

thegenius1
6th February 2007, 11:05 AM

To me that doens't really matter due to the fact that Dot TV is pretty popular with Japanese Adult sites , and it took awhile before i seen .TV's available for registration at japanese registrars

blastfromthepast
14th January 2008, 04:36 AM
Sudden increase in .ws sales!

Rubber Duck
14th January 2008, 04:50 AM
With it being election year it could be Washington Stories, or may be they are justing thinking about the economy. How about Welfare State.

blastfromthepast
14th January 2008, 04:59 AM
[网司 (ws) is the initial of the [网络公司] (Web Service Company)

Google results have grown over a year! Results 1 - 100 of about 117,000 for "网公". (0.42 seconds)

jose
14th January 2008, 05:19 AM
[网司 (ws) is the initial of the [网络公司] (Web Service Company)

Google results have grown over a year! Results 1 - 100 of about 117,000 for "网公". (0.42 seconds)

No Google trends?!

mgrohan
14th January 2008, 05:24 AM
No Google trends?!

No point trying google trends for Chinese simplified, not enough mainland people use google. Try baidu index for trends: http://index.baidu.com/main/word.php?word=%CD%F8%C2%E7%B9%AB%CB%BE%2C+%CD%F8%C2%E7&submit=%B0%D9%B6%C8%D2%BB%CF%C2