PDA

View Full Version : Urgent .ws clarification necessary...

seamo
6th February 2007, 12:35 PM
Taken from he Dynadot site:

Near 50 names with extension .ws of 1, 2 and 3 letters they have been stolen to a Spanish individual who had registered the above mentioned names across Dynadot.
Without explaining to him initially the motive the client has met this evening that his her portfolio of names had eliminated and had the money spent(consumed) in the names solvent.
On having gone to Dynadot, these have answered her that for these names exist other tariffs. On the other hand, the client could register the above mentioned names in Dynadot to 7,99 dollars, could change the DNS and park the above mentioned authorities in SEDO and MONIKER, managing to generate money each of them for traffic until the authorities were stolen from her.

Commotion in Spain and in the forums of names....

Response from Dynadot, Date Posted: Feb 5, 2007 8:17pm

We apologize to the Dynadot customer that this happened to.

When we added the new bulk search page, we forgot to check that WS domains must be 4 characters long. So one of our customers was able to register a lot of 1, 2, and 3 character WS domain names yesterday.

Unfortunately, the WS registry charges us more for short WS domains:

3 char: $500
2 char: $1000
1 char: $50000

That is why we don't allow the registration of these domain names. So when we found out about the bug, we deleted the domains, and issued the customer an account credit. We can also issue a full refund to the credit card if that is better.

Once again we apologize for the inconvenience.

Implications? :confused:

alexd
6th February 2007, 12:42 PM
I was actually look at some one char Greek letters with .ws and saw that a few of them had been taken.

Wonder if they will soon be available again with that huge price tag ??

Alex

Fka200
6th February 2007, 02:24 PM
I was actually look at some one char Greek letters with .ws and saw that a few of them had been taken.

Wonder if they will soon be available again with that huge price tag ??

Alex

I highly doubt that the IDNs will be considered "1 character" and there are PLENTY of 1 characters left, although i saw ZERO value in 1 characters as opposed to actual words for some reason... I did buy 1, as a novelty IDN though ;)

Charrua
6th February 2007, 02:33 PM
To register 1, 2 or 3 1 characters go to WebSite.ws and try punycode .ws is allot cheaper than dynadot in that case, just $ 70 and $ 100 to transfer.

Check the Rules.

Good Luck.

Rubber Duck
6th February 2007, 02:50 PM
These will be reserved names that you actually lease rather than own, I think a bit like Premium dot TV.

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 03:10 PM
These will be reserved names that you actually lease rather than own, I think a bit like Premium dot TV.
all domain names are leased. There is no such thing as an "owned" domain literally.
;-(

Rubber Duck
6th February 2007, 03:18 PM
Well yes and no. You don't own any domain, but you do have intellectual property rights over the domain. What happens in the case of the some ccTLD is these rights are actually owned by the registry or registrar. Often they are not transferable so you cannot sell them on.

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 03:26 PM
Well yes and no. You don't own any domain, but you do have intellectual property rights over the domain. What happens in the case of the some ccTLD is these rights are actually owned by the registry or registrar. Often they are not transferable so you cannot sell them on.
I have a premium .tv and they're treated just the same. There are some people that have TM's on theirname.tv

Drewbert
6th February 2007, 03:57 PM
Fancy deleting the names without asking first if she wanted to keep them and pay the premium!

Very bad customer service, if you ask me.

Not that anyone did, of course.

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 04:21 PM
Fancy deleting the names without asking first if she wanted to keep them and pay the premium!

Very bad customer service, if you ask me.

Not that anyone did, of course.
what do you mean

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 04:23 PM
The names in question were things like mi.ws c.ws and other 1,2,3 latin letter domains.

This has nothing to do with IDNs, which are, because of punycode, long names by default.

ctc
7th February 2007, 11:54 PM
I highly doubt that the IDNs will be considered "1 character" and there are PLENTY of 1 characters left, although i saw ZERO value in 1 characters as opposed to actual words for some reason... I did buy 1, as a novelty IDN though ;)

I beg to differ.
I have several single character IDNs, one of them gets more hits than ALL my domains (IDN & ASCII) put together.

While a single character IDN may not look single in its ASCII form XN--etc etc.com...in its native form it is.

Rubber Duck
8th February 2007, 12:16 AM
Single characters do get a lot of traffic, although it is difficult to know what browsers are really after if anything at all.

Single characters are not Generics, but they are the Ultimate Brandables.

Are they worth anything. I believe so, but then I have an awful lot.

Are they really single characters? Yes! of course they are! Everything ultimately goes through the DNS as Binary, but we rather gloss over that fact with 1, 2 and 3 letter ASCII domains. Encoding is not what is important. We are in the marketing/advertising business. It is what is percieved by the guy doing the browsing that is important not ends up being recorded at the Registry.

When and if the single character dot coms get Auctioned, I think we are looking 7to 8 figures. Some Single character IDNs will make 7 figures.

Bimbo
8th February 2007, 12:27 AM
WS already work on gg:

http://www.google.fr/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-41,GGLJ:fr&q=chien

means 'dog'

- 1st : chien.com (clustering)
- 2nd: chien.ws
- 3: fr.wikepedia.org

see you