PDA

View Full Version : Wow!! I go to sleep for a few hours and EVERY thread is about .ws lol

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 02:26 PM
Am i dreaming? Not one mention of .com or .jp

Prodigy
6th February 2007, 02:36 PM
I've got some killer JPs if you're looking for some... ;)

Rubber Duck
6th February 2007, 02:39 PM
Am i dreaming? Not one mention of .com or .jp

Do not concern yourself, this all happened with dot TV sometime back. This is an even more desperate chase up a blind alley. Eventually people will come to realise that you either bite the bullet and obtain some premium dot Coms or ccTLDs or essentially you wave a flag at the boat as it heads towards the horizon.

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 02:40 PM
Do not concern yourself, this all happened with dot TV sometime back. This is an even more desperate chase up a blind alley. Eventually people will come to realise that you either bite the bullet and obtain some premium dot Coms or ccTLDs or essentially you wave a flag at the boat as it heads towards the horizon.
well I woke up with 50 .ws names in my account.. So that .ws blunder was real last night!! My head hurts. Over $400 spent by me on .ws @!

domainguru
6th February 2007, 03:34 PM
well I woke up with 50 .ws names in my account.. So that .ws blunder was real last night!! My head hurts. Over $400 spent by me on .ws @!

That sounds absolutely crazy to me. .ws has been a dead-end domain since day #1. Sure it has some use as a search engine domain, but apart from that, nothing. How many big .ws sites are there? Where are the big .ws domain sales? The marketing of .ws as ".website" has been a failure.

Honestly, I'm pretty shocked that people on this forum have got no better ways to spend their money than on .ws domains. This place is starting to look more and more like a dodgy ASCII forum every day :p

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 03:41 PM
Honestly, I'm pretty shocked that people on this forum have got no better ways to spend their money than on .ws domains. This place is starting to look more and more like a dodgy ASCII forum every day :p

In other words, IDNs have gone mainstream.

sunsei21
6th February 2007, 03:42 PM
That sounds absolutely crazy to me. .ws has been a dead-end domain since day #1. Sure it has some use as a search engine domain, but apart from that, nothing. How many big .ws sites are there? Where are the big .ws domain sales? The marketing of .ws as ".website" has been a failure.

lol i am giving the benefit of the doubt that the rest of the world will like .ws more than the acii counterparts considering there are tons of acii generics left in .ws. although im sure if thats all thats left a few people will except it and use it for a site , but apparently y'all are not leaving anything around. :cool:

thegenius1
6th February 2007, 03:46 PM
All i want to know is who Had on Diapers Last Night So they didnt have to stop ?

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/9025-have-a-serious-laugh.html

touchring
6th February 2007, 03:57 PM

I think many people on this forum are bored waiting for something to happen for IDNs. Rather than wait or pay exorbitant prices for .com on snaps (not everyone is willing to pay snap prices, btw), etc, they would have some fun by placing bets on a few .ws.

domainguru
6th February 2007, 04:07 PM
I think many people on this forum are bored waiting for something to happen for IDNs. Rather than wait or pay exorbitant prices for .com on snaps (not everyone is willing to pay snap prices, btw), etc, they would have some fun by placing bets on a few .ws.

Yes you are right, people are bored waiting for something to happen. But not to sound like a broken record, people would be better off making something happen via development rather than throwing money away on crappy extensions and "hoping". Why tie up capital on names that nobody will want in the next ten years?

Worse than that, though, is the "sheep mentality" ... again, very similar to ASCII forums. And I thought I was joking about this place turning into one .....

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 04:20 PM
Yes you are right, people are bored waiting for something to happen. But not to sound like a broken record, people would be better off making something happen via development rather than throwing money away on crappy extensions and "hoping". Why tie up capital on names that nobody will want in the next ten years?

The sales on here, and the interest on the Chinese forum shows that permium domains are in demand in .ws.

The reason many are buying and registering, is in fact, development. Because we know search engines rank is atainable with IDNs, the extension does not matter.

All the more so if the term is taken or blocked in .com, .cn, to begin with.

domainguru
6th February 2007, 04:37 PM
The sales on here, and the interest on the Chinese forum shows that permium domains are in demand in .ws.

The reason many are buying and registering, is in fact, development. Because we know search engines rank is atainable with IDNs, the extension does not matter.

All the more so if the term is taken or blocked in .com, .cn, to begin with.

Well if they were in demand they would have been registered before last night wouldn't they?

I agree they have some search engine use, but no more than ASCII .ws domains. And we all know they have very limited value. I'd love to believe that people are suddenly registering .ws domains to exploit their search engine keyword potential, but since 99% of IDNs are parked at the moment, I don't quite buy that argument. There are plenty of people in these forums sitting on stacks on great .com IDNs. Why not develop them rather than ".WotSit"?

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 04:40 PM
Well if they were in demand they would have been registered before last night wouldn't they?

I agree they have some search engine use, but no more than ASCII .ws domains. And we all know they have very limited value. I'd love to believe that people are suddenly registering .ws domains to exploit their search engine keyword potential, but since 99% of IDNs are parked at the moment, I don't quite buy that argument. There are plenty of people in these forums sitting on stacks on great .com IDNs. Why not develop them rather than ".WotSit"?
alot of chinese .ws were already regged months ago... i was only able to reg two premium chinese .ws..........

several .ws were taken months ago too

domainguru
6th February 2007, 04:44 PM
alot of chinese .ws were already regged months ago... i was only able to reg two premium chinese .ws..........

several .ws were taken months ago too

I realize some .ws IDNs were registered months ago, some probably years ago. I am talking about the sudden "overnight interest" in .ws domains. Smells like a typical "IDNF bandwagon" a la "Japanese real estate" names, where people register loads of average names and then a week later regretted they ever did. At least they were .com though

thegenius1
6th February 2007, 04:46 PM
Smells like a typical "IDNF bandwagon" a la "Japanese real estate" names, where people register loads of average names and then a week later regretted they ever did. At least they were .com though

Says Who ?

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 04:48 PM
I realize some .ws IDNs were registered months ago, some probably years ago. I am talking about the sudden "overnight interest" in .ws domains. Smells like a typical "IDNF bandwagon" a la "Japanese real estate" names, where people register loads of average names and then a week later regretted they ever did. At least they were .com though
well they can always sell for $15 minimum at least - we create a market

whens the last time you saw a .mobi in google? :)

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 05:03 PM

The only thing many regret, is not getting more (or getting all) of those real estate names themselves.

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 05:06 PM
the japanese real estate ones will last

I'm in the real estate business and let me tell you. Those are goldmines. I didn't get a single one unfortunately.

bwhhisc
6th February 2007, 05:09 PM

Those real estate + city terms get $1.60 clicks but they are few and far between right now.

Even 1 click per month will be a 50% ROI after annual reg fees are paid.

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 05:16 PM

I agree they have some search engine use, but no more than ASCII .ws domains. ... There are plenty of people in these forums sitting on stacks on great .com IDNs. Why not develop them rather than ".WotSit"?

Exactly. Those that have those top .com IDNs are developing them. Those that don't obviously can't.

Do not keep saying plenty of people here have top .com IDNs. It is just not true.

Lets take the case of Chinese and Japanese geographics. Who here owns 日本 or 東京 or 北京 or 中国 in .com, .net., .cn., or .jp? Most of those are blocked to begin with. How about 上海 and 台北? Thats right, about 3 people hold most of the top geographic domains for China and Japan.

Most such names are not even up for sale. Nobody should be suprised a 日本.ws sells within 3 minutes of being offered.

Should have bought it myself.

domainguru
6th February 2007, 05:32 PM
Exactly. Those that have those top .com IDNs are developing them. Those that don't obviously can't.

Do not keep saying plenty of people here have top .com IDNs. It is just not true.

Lets take the case of Chinese and Japanese geographics. Who here owns 日本 or 東京 or 北京 or 中国 in .com, .net., .cn., or .jp? Most of those are blocked to begin with. How about 上海 and 台北? Thats right, about 3 people hold most of the top geographic domains for China and Japan.

All I am saying is that dozens of people on this forum have several top quality generic .com IDN domains. Not necessarily Chinese / Japanese geographics, although several members do have excellent names in that sector, but I'm sure you will agree there are plenty of other languages / sectors to consider.

As for you saying that those that have top .com IDNs are developing them, I would dispute that. I would guestimate less than 5% of premium .com IDNs are currently developed or in development. Probably much nearer 1%

As someone else pointed out, most of the new .ws registrations are for flipping purposes only. Nadda all to do with development.

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 05:34 PM
As someone else pointed out, most of the new .ws registrations are for flipping purposes only. Nadda all to do with development.

Some people register to resell. Others buy to develop. What's wrong with that? That is the way the market works.

domainguru
6th February 2007, 05:37 PM
Those real estate + city terms get $1.60 clicks but they are few and far between right now.

Even 1 click per month will be a 50% ROI after annual reg fees are paid.

Any sign of this magical "1 click per month" happening?

Some people register to resell. Others buy to develop. What's wrong with that? That is the way the market works.

Whether it "works" or not depends on whether people make a decent return on their investment. There are plenty of ASCII domainers that spent lots of money registering terms in .ws and never sold any. If IDNers can do better, then good luck to them.

Rubber Duck
6th February 2007, 05:51 PM
Any sign of this magical "1 click per month" happening?

Some are getting the good clicks once in a while. I wouldn't go as far as to say it is once a month on every term, but even good Generics in Japanese are a major disappointment. These are no more bust than the rest in my opinion. Japanese in terms of performance crawls in last behind just about everything else.

mdw
6th February 2007, 06:57 PM
There are real gamblers in this crowd. This .ws lunacy is clearly a gamble. Nothing wrong with buying something you can't resell for years as long as you don't rationalize about it. This risk-attraction is the characteristic that has made people here successful IDN speculators, can't expect it to be moderated.

Good luck selling them tho, I agree with the earlier comment better to spend your time/effort/money developing good IDN.com or country code domains.

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 06:59 PM
Good luck selling them tho, I agree with the earlier comment better to spend your time/effort/money developing good IDN.com or country code domains.

Thanks. Just sold one. A few people here have gotten $XXX offers for theirs from what I hear.

domainguru
6th February 2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks. Just sold one. A few people here have gotten $XXX offers for theirs from what I hear.

What - from domains registered in the last 24 hours? Don't believe it.

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 07:54 PM
What - from domains registered in the last 24 hours? Don't believe it.

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/8992-酒店-ws-hotel.html

Resold for $50 just hours after registration. Got an inquiry a few hours after sale, but it was a done deal already.

I'll let the others speak for themselves if they want.

domainguru
6th February 2007, 08:06 PM
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/8992-酒店-ws-hotel.html

Resold for $50 just hours after registration. Got an inquiry a few hours after sale, but it was a done deal already.

I'll let the others speak for themselves if they want.

I'm sorry, since when did $XXX = $50 ??????

blastfromthepast
6th February 2007, 08:11 PM
I'm sorry, since when did $XXX = $50

Did you read my post?

domainguru
6th February 2007, 08:37 PM
Did you read my post?

Yeah, you said "A few people here have gotten $XXX offers for theirs from what I hear."

I love the "from what I hear" get out clause.

If anyone has sold a .ws domain for $XXX which was registered in the last 24 hours, I will be glad to eat my words. Any takers?

IDNCowboy
6th February 2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah, you said "A few people here have gotten $XXX offers for theirs from what I hear."

If anyone has sold a .ws domain for $XXX which was registered in the last 24 hours, I will be glad to eat my words. Any takers?
in the past 24 hours tons of premium .ws in korean/japanese/chinese has been regged.

alpha
6th February 2007, 09:35 PM
call me Captain kneejerk, but i regged a load of .ws this morning caught up in the bandwagon syndrome

then this afternoon i refunded them all but 3 because 2 i already have the com and net and the jp is already blocked and thus wanted the set, and the other 1 was a big term blocked in com net and cn

i wouldnt want to be sitting on a pile of em though thats for sure - I mean for 1 thing we are hoping for dname right - well what happens to WS? you can bet it wont be dnamed to "website" in Japanese :p

bwhhisc
6th February 2007, 09:40 PM
i wouldnt want to be sitting on a pile of em though thats for sure - I mean for 1 thing we are hoping for dname right - well what happens to WS? you can bet it wont be dnamed to "website" in Japanese :p

maybe for Japanese .ws will be transliteral to ".wasabi" lol

Rubber Duck
6th February 2007, 09:42 PM
I think this whole thing has been quite enlightening.

This is not the breakout that I have been looking for but perhaps it was predictable.

What it does demonstrate is that the boiler pressure is rising and it also shows how quickly breakout of the type that I am anticipating will occur, when it does. If you are hoping to jump on the dot com bandwagon at the last minute, just make sure you are not caught in the wrong time zone!

thegenius1
6th February 2007, 10:10 PM

Well you should eat your words for your Real estate Remarks as well as this statement , I have turned down hi xx - xxx offers on Flowers.WS

And can forward the offers if the potential buyer doesnt mind

Have you looked at leasethis.com yet ? Real estate names are Huge , Have you looked at any of the articles i posted about Real Estate Domains ? Maybe i should post some links

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/5443-a-new-report-on-real-estate-online-advertising-from-borrell-and-associates.html

http://www.idnaffiliates.com/idnrealestate-com/RealEstateAdSpending.bmp

dave_5
6th February 2007, 10:33 PM
I personally think that .ws is waste of money.

Out of curiosity I checked to see if "sex" in Hebrew was available. Well, surprise it was! Had to register it. don't think you can go wrong with that.

If "sex" was avaliable... maybe other premiums Hebrew names are still available.

One .ws is enough for me.

סקס.ws

markits
7th February 2007, 12:37 AM
I am a bit worried at what this forum is turning into.
I heard lots of prople talking about serp of .ws. Where is the proof? SE normal gives more serp weight to .com domains. Domain age is another important factor -- the older the better.
(Note: At yahoo.co.jp, we see com and jp idns get equal seo advantages, which is reasonable since it is a Japanese se).

sunsei21
7th February 2007, 12:55 AM
well i had some cash in my dynadot account so i bought a couple names .ws see sig
i might return them unless i get a offer ( having buyers remorse ) i have tons of real estate names i sent my whole German collection to see if it will make the auction in march a few were idns i think but something tells me they wont make it :mad:

IDNCowboy
7th February 2007, 01:05 AM
I heard lots of prople talking about serp of .ws. Where is the proof? SE normal gives more serp weight to .com domains. Domain age is another important factor -- the older the better.
(Note: At yahoo.co.jp, we see com and jp idns get equal seo advantages, which is reasonable since it is a Japanese se).
you could say the same about .mobi - i don't see any in search results.... whats the difference in .mobi and .ws for seo?

Drewbert
7th February 2007, 01:18 AM
Captain Kneejerk.

blastfromthepast
7th February 2007, 01:48 AM
you could say the same about .mobi - i don't see any in search results.... whats the difference in .mobi and .ws for seo?

.WS = .网司

touchring
7th February 2007, 01:56 AM

I've could not recall having seen a .ws website let alone a listing on Google.

blastfromthepast
7th February 2007, 02:00 AM

You will now.

IDNCowboy
7th February 2007, 02:19 AM
have you seen a .mobi in google

touchring
7th February 2007, 02:39 AM
have you seen a .mobi in google

Gotcha! This doesn't matter a little. :o

Everyone's going nuts! The mobi fever has caught on the IDN community.

mulligan
7th February 2007, 02:45 AM
Heres a few:

http://tim.mobi/

http://hindustan.mobi/

http://inzo.mobi/

http://myim.mobi/

Though they are few and far between

blastfromthepast
7th February 2007, 03:07 AM
.WS is what IDNing would have been like in .com had the gates opened up not in 2000 but February 5, 2007 with a short sunrise preceding.

thegenius1
7th February 2007, 01:48 PM
You will now.

Sure will

burnsinternet
7th February 2007, 08:20 PM
I am resisting the urge to go after .ws given my experience with them in ASCII-land. I have, however, been finding some decent generics out there in languages other than Asian. Some of us have been comparing notes on recent finds and you would be amazed what has dropped and what has been overlooked.

Some interesting Polish (yes, dot coms) and others were out there for the taking today. I picked up friendship.net (in Polish) and the dot com was regged since 2001. In one language, I found 'love' and other good domain names and I didn't have to reg .cc .tv or .ws. In fact, those are still available with good words in some languages.

C'mon folks. Show your mental toughness. When 'hotels' dot anything in all Asian languages is gone, are you going to swap idn.mobi domains? Nothing wrong with .ws or .cc or .tv. But, get creative and keep your eye on learning. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Bimbo
8th February 2007, 12:22 AM
Hi all !

- Is .WS work on GG? :rolleyes:

Search 'chien' in GG fr (dog in french, not IDN):
- 1st : chien.com
- 2nd: chien.ws

http://www.google.fr/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-41,GGLJ:fr&q=chien

So yes, it 's developper dream !!! :p
100 ws for me.

Mostly french and spanish: (i keep)
vidéo.ws, cinéma.ws, hôtel.ws, hotéis.ws, economie, automóvil.ws, músicas.ws...

Some us/eng: (to sale)
bad-credit.ws, mortgage-rate.ws, airline-ticket.ws, free-download.ws ...

Some One-letter as well: (to sale)
- î.ws,
- â.ws,
- ê.ws, etc........

IDNCowboy
8th February 2007, 12:25 AM
- 1st : chien.com
- 2nd: chien.ws

http://www.google.fr/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-41,GGLJ:fr&q=chien

So yes, it 's developper dream !!! :p
100 ws for me.

Mostly french and spanish: (i keep)
vidéo.ws, cinéma.ws, hôtel.ws, hotéis.ws, economie, automóvil.ws, músicas.ws...

Some us/eng: (to sale)
bad-credit.ws, mortgage-rate.ws, airline-ticket.ws, free-download.ws ...

Some One-letter as well: (to sale)
- î.ws,
- â.ws,
- ê.ws, etc........
thank you - .ws prices have just increased ten fold due to the proof you posted above getting nice rankings

Bimbo
8th February 2007, 12:35 AM
Look at french community
they're quite good.

Look at cuisine on gg fr, for example

4 position :.tv

See you on GG !

bwhhisc
8th February 2007, 02:30 AM
Look at french community
they're quite good.
Look at cuisine on gg fr, for example
4 position :.tv
See you on GG !

Just goes to prove what has been said all along.
A good website, SEO, links, advertising, & good content to get repeat visitors can propel extensions to the top of search engines.
Many say the #1 most important thing in the search algorithm is that the <domain name> = <search term>.
So keywords and top generics have ability to do very well in searches, but can't count on type-in. Development is key.