PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new member - need a primer on IDN purchasing and parking

johnshow
7th February 2007, 03:30 AM
Hello all,

I am a fairly large US domain owner and am considering purchasing quite a few multilingual domains with extensions .jp, .cn, and possibly .tw

I was hoping someone could give me a primer on how one would go about purchasing these domains. I have resources to help me pick which domain names to buy but I'm interested in top registrars, what restrictions there are when buying foreign domains (like residency or presence), and places to park these sites. Again, I'm interested in multilingual domains - like www.雇用.jp

I realize topics like this get covered all the time but it's hard to navigate and even though I consider myself somewhat intelligent it's all a blur to me at this point. Maybe someone could post a general introduction for newcomers and someone could make this a sticky post (if we have those here).

Thanks,

John

IDNCowboy
7th February 2007, 03:43 AM
Hello all,

I am a fairly large US domain owner and am considering purchasing quite a few multilingual domains with extensions .jp, .cn, and possibly .tw

I was hoping someone could give me a primer on how one would go about purchasing these domains. I have resources to help me pick which domain names to buy but I'm interested in top registrars, what restrictions there are when buying foreign domains (like residency or presence), and places to park these sites. Again, I'm interested in multilingual domains - like www.雇用.jp

I realize topics like this get covered all the time but it's hard to navigate and even though I consider myself somewhat intelligent it's all a blur to me at this point. Maybe someone could post a general introduction for newcomers and someone could make this a sticky post (if we have those here).

Thanks,

John

http://www.namedrive.com/?ref=9551 offers the best parking program for IDNs. They pay every month on time. They offer great tracking. Traffic is still very minimal but traffic has been increasing.

http://affiliates.moniker.com/pub/Affiliates?affiliate_id=1625&landingpage=register $6.99 regs for .com .net etc or dynadot.com $7.99 regs but 4 day window you can get back full credit in case you make a translation mistake....... You get it back at dynadot credit tho good for future purchases.

http://www.spec.jp-domains.net $15 .jp domain registrations for IDN cheapest registrar

Tools

Overture Japan
http://inventory.jp.overture.com

Overture Taiwan (Traditional Chinese)
http://inventory.tw.overture.com

Overture Hong Kong
http://inventory.hk.overture.com

There is no chinese overture for the China mainland. They use Chinese simplified.

hot extensions for each country

Japan - .com .net .jp

China - .com .net .cn

Korea .com .net .info

Fka200
7th February 2007, 03:48 AM
Hey John,

I skimmed through your post so I might not answer the questions you asked directly, but basically to get into IDNs you need to learn to use multi-resources.

Of these, to me, the most important are:

Google Trends, OVT, Multiple Online Translators, Google Search Results, and possibly a friend who speaks the native language.

If you utilize all these tools correctly you will find that there are still some gems out there IN .COM and .Net/.WS ;).

John, people were laughing at IDNs in September when names weren't getting traffic, even though there were known to be top keyword domains. Now, the game has changed forever. Top keyword domains are getting traffic, and this is only after a week or so of the Vista release (I HAVE noticed a difference). Imagine what will happen once natives will realize they can finally browse the web and purchase online tickets through familiar names. No more Orbitz.com and Hotels.com for Americans, domains with their equivalence in different languages will soon become popular in their native towns.

For starting off, if you are not 100% sure about the term, i recommend Dynadot. This way if the term turns out to be crap (after asking for an appraisal online) then you can just return it for credit.

If you need anymore help, there are friendly IDN communities which, I assume, would be more than happy to share some knowledge and tips.

tee1
7th February 2007, 04:03 AM
Welcome,
check out idntools.net, it is owned by a member here. A very valuable resource, link is at the top right of the page. Also dynadot give an account credit, but you have to email them (don't just click the delete button). jp-domains.com has 2 for 1 around $15 a piece on .jps no residency. welcome aboard.

Also, we are currently undergoing a .ws run. I am part of it, I think it is a cabin fever, or a boredom thing. Please don't think badly of us do to all the .ws postings.

tee1

Olney
7th February 2007, 04:23 AM
Parking tips

1. Look at the US view & see if you can get related ads to show up because Google & Yahoo spiders are US based. This doesn't matter for China & Russia
2. Try to get the domain indexed in the search engine(s) that most people use in the target country.
3. Optimize with related keywords that will bring conversions, not just the highest paying keywords. (This might not work for everyone)
4. If you use NameDrive use the comment box to record any changes.

If you do backlink any domain backlink it using punycode.

rhys
7th February 2007, 07:40 AM
Welcome John. Fresh regging may prove challenging - in Japanese .jp still has a few surprises. You'll pull out a few decent ones with effort. If you watch the sales posts here though from time to time you will see some decent names going at pretty good value as folks are now having to renew their domains for the year and are culling portfolios. I think the best value for your time is the secondary market.

My advice is if you don't have access to native talent to advise you, by all means get that first.

Cheers,

Rhys

thegenius1
7th February 2007, 12:53 PM
Welcome John ,

Great to have another on board :cool:

bwhhisc
7th February 2007, 12:59 PM
Welcome John ,
Great to have another on board :cool:

And although he didn't say it get a copy of Genius1 e-book.
It really cuts to the chase. Also, idntools.net has great resources and dictionaries.

BTW- tell genius1 that Bill sent you for a special price. lol

thegenius1
7th February 2007, 01:16 PM
And although he didn't say it get a copy of Genius1 e-book.
It really cuts to the chase. Also, idntools.net has great resources and dictionaries.

BTW- tell genius1 that Bill sent you for a special price. lol

Yesterday was my 24th b-day so im feeling generous , i will just send him one on the house :) Only because his name is john lol

zenmarketing
7th February 2007, 04:40 PM
Olney,

How come you say to backlink domains using Punycode?

I hadn't heard of this, what is the reasoning?

Thanks!

thefabfive
7th February 2007, 05:35 PM
Olney,

Thanks!

I think the reasoning is if a surfer with a non-IDN enabled browser visits your site (say via SE results), links in unicode will not work for them. Punycode allows all surfers, with any browser to use the links.

rhys
7th February 2007, 06:53 PM
I think the reasoning is if a surfer with a non-IDN enabled browser visits your site (say via SE results), links in unicode will not work for them. Punycode allows all surfers, with any browser to use the links.

Actually trial and error seems to show that Yahoo picks up the backlinks in punycode but not very well or inconsistently in unicode. This is not the case for google. But in Japan nobody should care about google at this point.

johnshow
7th February 2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks to all for your help. Let's all make a lot of money.

IDNCowboy
7th February 2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks to all for your help. Let's all make a lot of money.
Welcome,

Which notable .com's do you own?

Which IDNs have you picked thus far? Any in the past 24 hours? :)

johnshow
8th February 2007, 11:43 PM
Are there any registrars out there that would allow me to register a multilingual .tw domain such as 網路.tw - not 網路.com.tw or 網路.net.tw?

Or does one always have to use Punycode?

Is I always have to use Punycode does anyone have a good link for a bulk translator?

IDNcowboy,

I have mostly .net domains which I have content on. I haven't picked up any IDN domains as of yet as I'm still figuring out what the heck to do here. Thanks to everyone again for their help.

Olney
8th February 2007, 11:50 PM
I did a test with sets of domains to see which got indexed faster
I did a report here on it
If you go through the SEO section you'll see a lot of test I did for development.

Olney,

Thanks!