PDA

View Full Version : How much did you earn for PPC for IDNs the last 30 days?

touchring
8th February 2007, 08:47 AM
How much did you earn for Parking PPC for IDNs the last 30 days?

The last time we had this Parking PPC survey was in May last year - http://www.idnforums.com/forums/3286-how-much-did-you-earn-for-ppc-for-idns-last-month.html?highlight=How+much+did+you+earn+for+PPC

Fast forward 8 mths, IE7 and FF market penetration has soared, exceeding 40% for many European markets and more than 10% for Asian markets.

By this time, you should know whether your Parking PPC can pay for your reg fees, and decide whether to change to Adsense, etc.. :)

*Please vote genuinely, this is an anonymous poll.

seamo
8th February 2007, 09:06 AM
I have come to the conclusion that parking will never pay my reg fees.

I was either:

a) Too late in this in this game to reg anything decent enough to generate native type-in.

b)Too stupid at this game to know what a decent domain is, particularly in a completely foreign language.

Development is the only hope for my portfolio - not parking...at least in this decade ;)

Olney
8th February 2007, 09:13 AM
That's wrong
If they make parking non geotargetted it would at least benefit from Search Engine traffic. This does not affect all regions though.

Also does this include money from Adsense?

Rubber Duck
8th February 2007, 09:28 AM
Fast forward 8 mths, IE7 and FF market penetration has soared, exceeding 40% for many European markets and more than 10% for Asian markets.

The evidence I have seen suggest that FF alone is reaching those kinds of figures in Europe and that IE7 is now wiping the floor with what is left.

In Asia, I have seen no statistics to suggest significant progress and IDN browser support appears to be still below 5%.

IDN in Latin languages is going to be a grey area. The established sites with the content are generally ASCII. The IDNs are generally held by speculators. Many name have no IDN form in any case. It is therefore unlikely that there will be mass transfer of quality content from ASCII to IDN.

In Asia it is a completely different scenario, ASCII and IDN are as different as chalk and cheese, or black and white for those that do not understand the idiom. Major corporations will copy and clone IDN sites on mass. Huge volumes of quality content will appear overnight. There is clear user advantage from using the IDN over the ASCII and it affect all domains.

I am afraid Sedo's little cockrel is going to proved very very wrong on this.

burnsinternet
8th February 2007, 09:33 AM
Echo Seamo. My PPC is good, but not THAT good. Of course, tens of thousands in reg fees is hard to recoup so early. My only hope is a PPC jump by summer or Adsense. I need to bite the bullet and start developing.

touchring
8th February 2007, 09:43 AM
Echo Seamo. My PPC is good, but not THAT good. Of course, tens of thousands in reg fees is hard to recoup so early. My only hope is a PPC jump by summer or Adsense. I need to bite the bullet and start developing.

I did an analysis based on the stats given to me by Drewbert (my analytics is completely off for IE7, beats me?), we worked out about 1.1 to max. 2.5 times (i'm putting in a wider range) multiple for latins for current PPC.

In Asia, I have seen no statistics to suggest significant progress and IDN browser support appears to be still below 5%.

For Japan, lately, i've seen reports indicating that Mozilla/FF alone has 9% or so marketshare. Don't know about other Asian countries though.

Stats end 2005:
http://www.websidestory.com/products/web-analytics/datainsights/spotlight/05-10-2005.html

Recent release:
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/linconsumer/55546.html

markits
8th February 2007, 10:11 AM
I only get a shy $97 last month.

Seamo, you are definite a winner in this game. Your city network is awesome!!

Rubber Duck
8th February 2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks. It would seem 9% is Firefox's own claim. Experience elsewhere tends to suggest that they have a tendency to grossly exaggerate their market share. It is all down to objectivity. You can measure browser stats for a website or a series of websites, but the hard thing is to know whether that traffic is representative of the market as a whole. Even the best of those monitoring the US market wildly disagree on relative market share by very wide margins. I think I will stick to the view the that FF/IE7 penetration in Japan is still below 5%, until somebody here comes up with something more convincing.

seamo
8th February 2007, 10:19 AM
I only get a shy $97 last month.

Seamo, you are definite a winner in this game. Your city network is awesome!!
Thanks markits - you've made my day :)

I can't take all the credit for it though, as Bill and I have combined our portfolio's for this project.

You know, I was going to respond to one of your posts a few days ago that I would swap everything I had for your クレジットカード.com?

There is a saying "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" ...;)

markits
8th February 2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks markits - you've made my day :)

I can't take all the credit for it though, as Bill and I have combined our portfolio's for this project.

You know, I was going to respond to one of your posts a few days ago that I would swap everything I had for your クレジットカード.com?

There is a saying "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" ...;)
To me, Your sites and names have already positioned you a millionaire! In fact, they are priceless no matter how little rev they generates right now.

I thought my best domain is 香烟.com (cigarettes.com). You know cigarettes accounts for 10% of China's fiscal revenue.

seamo
8th February 2007, 10:58 AM
To me, Your sites and names have already positioned you a millionaire! In fact, they are priceless no matter how little rev they generates right now.

I thought my best domain is 香烟.com (cigarettes.com). You know cigarettes accounts for 10% of China's fiscal revenue.
Again - thank you markits :)

My wish is that your domain 香烟.com will make you 10% of China's fiscal revenue!

Good luck mate!

touchring
8th February 2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks. It would seem 9% is Firefox's own claim. Experience elsewhere tends to suggest that they have a tendency to grossly exaggerate their market share. It is all down to objectivity.

Yes, i've also considered self-promotion as a possibility.

However, i don't think i'll spend more time trying to find out the figures - browser market share data for Japan are hard to come by, and forum members here already got FF statistics on their servers, so many of us here got Japanese minisites - there must be a few dozens with thousands of views a month. It would only be a matter of time before one or two of us believes that web logs are not some top secret data and decides to share with the forum. :p

markits
8th February 2007, 03:25 PM
I think ND owe us an update on traffic and revenue movement of IDNs since we are all loyal to ND and long for this info.

rhys
8th February 2007, 03:59 PM

Yes, you do need to develop. I make on namedrive in a month what I make off of my developed portfolio in a day.

touchring
9th February 2007, 06:38 AM
Yes, you do need to develop. I make on namedrive in a month what I make off of my developed portfolio in a day.

Yahoo algo isn't ready for IDNs. In a normal working system, sites are ranked based on pagerank and user experience. Of cos, an IDN can always be developed to possess superior pagerank and user experience. But that would involve considerable time and effort.

In the meantime, minimal development for IDNs is lucrative as we know, but nonetheless, for medium to long term earnings, we still need to consider type-in PPC. At least so if you are looking forward to IDNs to supplement or replace your day job income a couple years down the road.

seamo
9th February 2007, 06:53 AM
... for medium to long term earnings, we still need to consider type-in PPC. At least so if you are looking forward to IDNs to supplement or replace your day job income a couple years down the road.
That is the 'right time, right place' factor...

Not many here posess it, and as more time passes, less and less will.

PPC will end up belonging to the starters mainly, or the locals who speak the language and can read the market.

The rest of us will need support and encouragement to develop sites which reach our target market in the best way possible :)

touchring
9th February 2007, 07:15 AM
That is the 'fight time, right place' factor...

Not many here posess it, and as more time passes, less and less will.

PPC will end up belonging to the starters mainly, or the locals who speak the language and can read the market.

The rest of us will need support and encouragement to develop sites which reach our target market in the best way possible :)

I think long term PPC serves as a useful minimum valuation model for comparing IDNs since it's more stable (or rather, the least unstable form of name revenue). PPC is useful for portfolio assessment. Myself, i'm actually using PPC for Arabic names, to decide what name to drop and what name to renew.

For reselling purpose, though, most of us will use Adsense trends to obtain maximum sale price.

seamo
9th February 2007, 07:24 AM
I think long term PPC serves as a useful minimum valuation model for comparing IDNs since it's more stable (or rather, the least unstable form of name revenue). PPC is useful for portfolio assessment.
So we'll eventually reach the ascii domain evaluation standard of PPC per year x agree number of years revenue to determine the value of an IDN?

This where we are eventually headed?...speculation versus hard traffic and revenue stats?

Seems inevitable to me...

touchring
9th February 2007, 07:38 AM
So we'll eventually reach the ascii domain evaluation standard of PPC per year x agree number of years revenue to determine the value of an IDN?

This where we are eventually headed?...speculation versus hard traffic and revenue stats?

Seems inevitable to me...

My impression is this - PPC per year x agree number of years revenue - seems to apply only for big names five figure or maybe six figure names.

Speculation and hard traffic can co-exist. Some are speculators, some go for hard traffic. The mix might change over time though. During the peak of the dot com boom, for those who went through it, no one talks about revenue, let alone profit. Speculators that exited at the top of the boom, won big time, like that Iranian lady that went to space?

I'm using a hybrid approach - city names and chinese names for speculation, latins and japanese (to some extent) for hard traffic. :)

seamo
9th February 2007, 07:48 AM
My impression is this - PPC per year x agree number of years revenue - seems to apply only for big names five figure or maybe six figure names.

Speculation and hard traffic can co-exist. Some are speculators, some go for hard traffic. The mix might change over time though. During the peak of the dot com boom, for those who went through it, no one talks about revenue, let alone profit.
So, the crucial factor of future IDN investment by non-local investors may turn out to be the 'x' factor (if hard traffic stats are low or non-existant)?

The unknown bridge between documentable stats and (x) possible local growth of an IDN?

Without reliable, industry accepted authorities to determine long-forecast potential of foreign domains will we ever attract international investors into new language markets?

touchring
9th February 2007, 07:56 AM
So, the crucial factor of future IDN investment by non-local investors may turn out to be the 'x' factor?

The unknown bridge between documentable stats and possible local (x) growth of an IDN?

Without reliable, industry accepted authorities will we ever attract international investors into new language markets?

We're now experiencing this 'x' factor for non-latins - multiples are a mystery, FF marketshare is a mystery, and asian markets are now very hot. People are paying snap thousands of dollars for that millionaire dream. :)

seamo
9th February 2007, 08:15 AM
We're now experiencing this 'x' factor for non-latins - multiples are a mystery, FF marketshare is a mystery, and asian markets are now very hot. People are paying snap thousands of dollars for that millionaire dream. :)
Yes - it is a 'golden' moment touch.

My personal interest though is to sustain this growth beyond the current situation - to those days where ascii domainers are educated enough to become hardened to uneducated specualtion in the foreign markets, yet not longer receptive enough to take a risk with foreign flippers who are willing to convince them that "black" = "white".

This is the challenge our market faces in the next 2-5 years I believe...

Your thoughts?

touchring
9th February 2007, 08:33 AM
My personal interest though is to sustain this growth beyond the current situation - to those days where ascii domainers are educated enough to become hardened to uneducated specualtion in the foreign markets, yet not longer receptive enough to take a risk with foreign flippers who are willing to convince them that "black" = "white".

This is the challenge our market faces in the next 2-5 years I believe...

Your thoughts?

I think no one knows the future. We have put in more than just money - but also time and energy. For many of us, the time we put in is more than the money.

Olney
9th February 2007, 08:38 AM
I don't know touch about the algorithm thing
There is another few factors that makes developing more beneficial in my opinion & the algorithm most likely won't change.

1. Domain age (with keywords)
One of my domains went down in rankings for a few months but suddenly went to #1 after the one year mark. Older is usually better.
2. PageRank your wording might be incorrect but I'd point out the PageRank doesn't affect your rankings a bit currently & most likely never will again.

Site's with older backlinks have quite a bit of merit....
If out of my 600 I have, if at least 100 to 200 have been sitting with related content for 2 or 3 years it adds value to companies.

seamo
9th February 2007, 08:55 AM
I think no one knows the future. We have put in more than just money - but also time and energy. For many of us, the time we put in is more than the money.
Absolutely my friend...blood, sweat & tears is more precious than any monetary compensation.

My wish and hope is that all of us will succeed in equal measure :)

touchring
9th February 2007, 11:59 AM
Absolutely my friend...blood, sweat & tears is more precious than any monetary compensation.

My wish and hope is that all of us will succeed in equal measure :)

Yup, this is what i hope as well, that's why i've been trying to share with you guys on the methodologies used by the ASCIIers.

From my observations, in general, IDNers that started off as ASCIIers have done significantly better than newbies that got into the IDN biz without ASCII experience. At the end of the day, IDNs are also domains, no different from ASCIIs.