PDA

View Full Version : Is japanese IDN.com or IDN.jp more valuable?

jacksonm
10th February 2007, 09:00 PM
What is the current feeling / consensus / speculation?

--
jacksonm

blastfromthepast
10th February 2007, 09:36 PM
Depends to whom.

idnowner
11th February 2007, 01:01 AM
I hope (and pray) the .coms are better.

Anyway, I still see no significant traffic increase, so maybe they're all no good?

thegenius1
11th February 2007, 01:03 AM
I hope (and pray) the .coms are better.

Anyway, I still see no significant traffic increase, so maybe they're all no good?

Can you pm me your list of maybe not so good names like golf ect. with price ;)

idnowner
11th February 2007, 01:05 AM
Can you pm me your list of maybe not so good names like golf ect. with price ;)

Well, I haven't exactly given up yet, either. But IDN use is taking it's dear time getting here!

thegenius1
11th February 2007, 01:06 AM
Well, I haven't exactly given up yet, either. But IDN use is taking it's dear time getting here!

Okay well can i be at the top of the list if you decide to throw in the towel , please :)

idnowner
11th February 2007, 01:09 AM
Okay well can i be at the top of the list if you decide to throw in the towel , please :)

Maybe I'll just let them expire and see how much they go for in the auctions!

thegenius1
11th February 2007, 01:11 AM

:o You must be fascinated with suicide then !

markits
11th February 2007, 04:56 AM
Take my $5k and give me the name of my choice now!
Last year you wouldn't sell it even for two more zeros after $5000. Now you are talking about let it drop. What a change!

For the jp vs com issue, I have not seen any advantages for one over another. Many highly established Japanese online business have established or branded as dot com, eg, price.com. However, I see equal amount of typeins for both com and jp domains of my possession.

rhys
11th February 2007, 05:13 AM
Again still speculative. I'd say that if you ask a Japanese they would say mostly that it is .JP. Look at Japanese auctions (what few there are) and it is clear that 2 to 1 it is .jp though .com still has some value.

thegenius1
11th February 2007, 06:36 AM
I was Hardcore .com , but after thinking about it most Japanese Domainer's that have been asked this question say .jp ... so you do the math

rhys
11th February 2007, 10:19 AM
What is the current feeling / consensus / speculation?

--
jacksonm

You aren't marc jackson from shimane are you?

jacksonm
11th February 2007, 10:28 AM
No, I'm Michael Jackson (no kidding). I'm a new player in the IDN game, and as I can see I got in too late. Everything worth any potential value has already been hoarded. Damn shame...

--
jacksonm

bwhhisc
11th February 2007, 10:34 AM
No, I'm Michael Jackson (no kidding). I'm a new player in the IDN game, and as I can see I got in too late. Everything worth any potential value has already been hoarded. Damn shame...
jacksonm

If you are talking top city domains and top generics yes. But there are niches in most languages still to be mined.
Slang words, medical terms, combo terms, and really good "two word" terms are still out there. Try putting your
keyword into overture (or wordstat) and scan other choices down the list for further analysis and consideration.

rhys
11th February 2007, 11:25 AM

--
jacksonm

It isn't completely true, though most of the truly big stuff is gone, every now and then you can still pull out a gem. A couple of weeks ago, I had a night where I straight-away found 2 200K+ OVT single word commercial generics in their .jp extension.

Actually, I started regging IDN in january of last year and lots of people told me then that there wouldn't be much left in Japanese, but that didn't seem to stop me from finding domains worth keeping. These days, you will be lucky to find 1 good untaken domain in 20 tries. But by all means do keep trying.

Also pay attention to the secondary sales and auctions on this forum - it is renewal season so some people let go of good domains fairly cheap.

thegenius1
12th February 2007, 01:25 AM
Hiro Hotta (representing Japan’s .jp registry)

"Hotta said that IDNs are gaining widespread acceptance with Japan’s .jp extension. He noted that since Microsoft announced in December 2004 that the IDN enabled Internet Explorer 7 browser was coming, the number of .jp IDNs registered jumped from 40,000 to over 125,000 today. He added that the IDN.jp segment is growing at 10% annually with a renewal rate above 80% (and as high as 90% among Japanese citizens). "

http://www.dnjournal.com/articles/events/domainfestglobal2007-page2.htm

sarcle
12th February 2007, 01:40 AM
If you do a quick Japanese Overture search you will find that there are much more idn.com being searched for than idn.jp.

Regardless, both extensions rank well in the search engines and the Japanese are just as accustom to using .com as .jp.