PDA

View Full Version : Improvement in Traffic at Namedrive

bwhhisc
15th February 2007, 01:05 AM
Definately seeing an uptick in traffic mainly Russian and Arabic, some Japanese too.
Even seeing some small traffic and clicks in Chinese.

January 1- 13 Views: 917 Clicks: 138
Feruary 1- 13 Views: 1545 Clicks: 244

Fka200
15th February 2007, 01:17 AM
Great improvement! not sure about my stats though, will have to check them. have been very skewed for the last 3 months or so

touchring
15th February 2007, 03:32 AM
Definately seeing an uptick in traffic mainly Russian and Arabic, some Japanese too.

70% increment. Truly amazing. So where do the bulk of the increase come from? As for 1000 or so views - it can easily be skewed by a name that gets indexed on google or yahoo.

markits
15th February 2007, 04:22 AM

Mine:
January 1- 13 Views: 4220 Clicks: 266
Feruary 1- 13 Views: 5137 Clicks: 383

Some increase there, but not as sharp as bill's. The avg-ppc drops significantly though. Bill's stats looks impressive. I guess I need to learn how to optimise the landing page.

touchring
15th February 2007, 04:51 AM
I think a lot depends on your language mix. Arabic and Russian increased significantly the past month. Japanese has fallen.

burnsinternet
15th February 2007, 07:35 AM
I see improvements in all languages (even Thai) except for Korean, Chinese, and Japanese. Traffic to my Korean and Japanese domains is down considerably vs last month. Russian is the leader of the pack.

Rubber Duck
15th February 2007, 11:02 AM
There is now some search traffic from China flowing out of Yahoo and 3721, but you seem to need to be on URL forwarding to take advantage.

Japan is a bust, but everything else is looking much more promising.

touchring
15th February 2007, 11:53 AM
There is now some search traffic from China flowing out of Yahoo and 3721, but you seem to need to be on URL forwarding to take advantage.

Japan is a bust, but everything else is looking much more promising.

It would seem that all of us are experiencing the same for Japanese. I wonder if Google or Yahoo downgraded ND ranking?

bwhhisc
15th February 2007, 11:54 AM
70% increment. Truly amazing. So where do the bulk of the increase come from? As for 1000 or so views - it can easily be skewed by a name that gets indexed on google or yahoo.

No it is pretty much spread across the board. The only one that looks strange is 宁夏.net (Chinese- Ningxia Province) which will get well over 100 hits. Chinese traffic is definately with many different IDNs being hit, with a few clicks here and there.
Up until December it was zero for all my Chinese so its a start.

At least 2/3 of traffic are coming from the regions ie. Asia for Japanese and Thai, coming from Europe for Russian.
104 out of 125 Chinese hits are Asia and highest Chinese click so far is .11

tee1
15th February 2007, 12:24 PM
Same as Bill,
I was happy with the increase last month and the start of this month looks good too. :)
January 1- 13 Views: 1022 Clicks: 158
Feruary 1- 13 Views: 1566 Clicks: 296

tee1

markits
15th February 2007, 01:04 PM
No it is pretty much spread across the board. The only one that looks strange is 宁夏.net (Chinese- Ningxia Province) which will get well over 100 hits. Chinese traffic is definately with many different IDNs being hit, with a few clicks here and there.

At least 2/3 of traffic are coming from the regions ie. Asia for Japanese and Thai, coming from Europe for Russian.
I think the mainland Chinese traffic is still blocked. The hits you see are perhaps from these unblocked Chinese Asia regions, such as Singapore, HK etc. Nevertheless, it is a very positive sign.

Domainsite reports good traffic for my Chinese domains but ND shows nil.

Rubber Duck
15th February 2007, 01:30 PM
I think the mainland Chinese traffic is still blocked. The hits you see are perhaps from these unblocked Chinese Asia regions, such as Singapore, HK etc. Nevertheless, it is a very positive sign.

Domainsite reports good traffic for my Chinese domains but ND shows nil.

I just love the way people assume that I don't know what I am talking about.

http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=02152007142814kp8.jpg

And yes it is a ND parking page

http://xn--94qq85aty9abxh.com/

markits
15th February 2007, 01:35 PM
RD I am confused with your comments. Did you see exactly the same hits volume in ND and and in your own stats for Chinese domains?

All I meant is that Chinese traffic is increasing, but they are not fully reflected or reported by the ND stats yet.

Rubber Duck
15th February 2007, 01:52 PM
RD I am confused with your comments. Did you see exactly the same hits volume in ND and and in your own stats for Chinese domains?

All I meant is that Chinese traffic is increasing, but they are not fully reflected or reported by the ND stats yet.

These are the ND stats for the same domain.

http://img77.imageshack.us/my.php?image=02152007144601xb4.jpg

and another shot from Analytics.

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=02152007144838ox8.jpg

I am not sure where the confusion lies exactly. What I said was that we had search traffic coming out of China on domains that are URL forwarded to Namedrive. Actually it would appear that we had at least one direct as well.
Google/Analytics confirms the nature of the traffic short of Biometric details of the individuals involved. Where is the confusion?

markits
15th February 2007, 02:04 PM
Well you confused me more. I haven't questioned what you are talking about. You should have quoted Touch's post above, not mine.

Your stats revealed that ND is blocking some traffics, eg, on Feb 12 ND shows 7 views but your own stats shows 18 unique views.

Rubber Duck
15th February 2007, 02:20 PM

The above statement is the one that I took objection to. Analystics is showing all traffic for this domain coming from PRC apart from one or two clicks which come from DNLocal members, checking things out.

You are, however, correct that there does seem to be some discrepancy in the statistics. We can, however, conclude:

1) Search Traffic is coming out of China on search and can be monetized even for parked domains.

2) Most Search Traffic for the present for this particular domain is coming from Yahoo but the is also some coming from 3721.

3) It would seem that those searching Yahoo and 3721 are overwhelmingly using IE6 on an XP platform. We have as yet found no evidence of IE7 or Vista.

4) Traffic is being derived broadly from across the PRC and is not limited to one ISP or one Geographical Area.

5) The evidence to date suggests that there is little direct navigation of IDN within China.

As for Touchring, well I think is suffices to say that different criteria apply there. I realised along time ago that I didn't have the time or resources to take much of what he says seriously.

<<It would seem that all of us are experiencing the same for Japanese. I wonder if Google or Yahoo downgraded ND ranking?>> Touchring.

I mean what exactly is that suppose to mean. I haven't got a clue!

markits
15th February 2007, 02:28 PM
All seem reasonable.
It is safe to say now that a high proportion of mainland Chinese traffic is still blocked by ND, right? In other words, the traffic growth seen in ND does not accurately reflect the actual growth rate of Chinese traffics.

Rubber Duck
15th February 2007, 02:35 PM
All seem reasonable.
It is safe to say now that a high proportion of mainland Chinese traffic is still blocked by ND, right?

Well I have no idea what is going on. If Analytics logged it, it must have resolved to the Namedrive Nameservers, but it might have timed out before the Landing Page was hit. Don't forget one of the big problems with the Firewall is the extent to which is slows down resolution. Because if you hook up to Analytics from a parking page, the Meta Tags are read before the redirection to the Landing Page the outcome might be a bit different than with a developed site where the Analytics Code is embedded on the Landing Page.

If a few more people hooked up parking pages to Analytics in this way, if there is something dodgy going on we would have a better chance of trying to figure out what it was.

touchring
15th February 2007, 02:35 PM

I think Ningxia.net got reindexed by Baidu.com. Most of my chinese names fell out of Baidu.com a long time ago. I think you got lucky this time.

Rubber Duck
15th February 2007, 02:53 PM
Perhaps whilst you are all the case I could get some explanation for this:

http:/中文上网.cn

markits
15th February 2007, 03:07 PM
I checked my ND stats carefully and did find quite few chinese domains got hits and clicks. Tricky thing is that I couldn't find any of these domains are indexed at any search engines.

Rubber Duck
15th February 2007, 03:11 PM
I checked my ND stats carefully and did find quite few chinese domains got hits and clicks. Tricky thing is that I couldn't find any of these domains are indexed at any search engines.

Well try hooking the ones that are getting traffic up to analytics by pasting the Analytics Code in the Meta Tags using URL forwarding. You should then get at least some of the answers.

Well try hooking the ones that are getting traffic up to analytics by pasting the Analytics Code in the Meta Tags using URL forwarding. You should then get at least some of the answers.

There may be discrepancies coming out of China, but you should be able to establish that is not from Singapore.

touchring
15th February 2007, 03:40 PM
There may be discrepancies coming out of China, but you should be able to establish that is not from Singapore.

The traffic from Singapore is minor - I did capture a few views (on different networks from mine). There are probably 300k chinese nationals and students living in singapore, but even that is a drop in a bucket.

bwhhisc
15th February 2007, 03:40 PM

I checked my ND stats carefully and did find quite few chinese domains got hits and clicks.

Maybe they are coming through the system of proxy servers used by many Chinese.
How would that affect the data etc?

Rubber Duck
15th February 2007, 03:46 PM

I would suggest that the discrepancy is in the wrong direction for that to be the case and we would expect to see most of those proxies popping up outside China.

touchring
15th February 2007, 03:55 PM

There are holes in the great firewall, we already knew this during Sedo time - before we started using ND.

Rubber Duck
15th February 2007, 04:49 PM
There are holes in the great firewall, we already knew this during Sedo time - before we started using ND.

Yes, but what we are seeing is different as I went from next to no traffic on ND to quite a bit at the beginning of the month. If it was just proxies or something we would not have had a quantum leap. We had intermittent traffic bursts at Sedo but that was attributable to the Chinese tinkering with the system.

We have never firmly established that the Chinese are deliberately trying to disadvantage us. I believe it has always been possible to get traffic from ASCII sites. It seems just as likely the problems have been caused inadvertantly due to them fiddling to try to get IDN.cn to resolve.

Blame bloody MS. If they hadn't caused such problems with Browser support, much of this may never have happened!