PDA

View Full Version : New Domain Portfolio Service - IDN Forums

Olney
23rd October 2005, 05:16 AM
I'm basically stuck in the Japanese market since I feel much more comfortable with it but I am thinking about what general tools can we add to the site to make it better for you guys (& gals).

The initial thing I can think of is a portfolio script.

Something to list your sites for sale plus the meaning punycode etc.

I believe I can take a directory script I own & convert it to a portfolio script.

I don't think I can compete with Afternic & Sedo as far as users but would you guys be willing to have a membership fee to cover the cost & get a few modifications to it?

I think I can probably make it so you can get contacted from within the system only so you don't recieve any spam.
Also for a yearly fee you can list all the domains you want.

I love to keep things free but I think this way I can also buy advertising as the site develops.

Rubber Duck
23rd October 2005, 12:24 PM
I'm basically stuck in the Japanese market since I feel much more comfortable with it but I am thinking about what general tools can we add to the site to make it better for you guys (& gals).

The initial thing I can think of is a portfolio script.

Something to list your sites for sale plus the meaning punycode etc.

I believe I can take a directory script I own & convert it to a portfolio script.

I don't think I can compete with Afternic & Sedo as far as users but would you guys be willing to have a membership fee to cover the cost & get a few modifications to it?

I think I can probably make it so you can get contacted from within the system only so you don't recieve any spam.
Also for a yearly fee you can list all the domains you want.

I love to keep things free but I think this way I can also buy advertising as the site develops.

Don't have any objection to a fee in principal and it sounds like a reasonable idea.

It might be an idea to try and get the number of members up a bit though, before introducing fees. The site has taken off a bit in the last week or so. Wouldn't want to kill it off just as things are starting to pick up.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

sarcle
23rd October 2005, 01:14 PM
Yeah I don't mind paying for something that is benifical. But it might hamper you getting new members. maybe you can to an upgrade system like a few other forums. bronze, silver, gold, ect. Pay for lifetime fees, the more you upgrade the better the tools and privleges (selling, viewing certain threads). Something like that

Olney
23rd October 2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know how well I can integrate everything but I'll try. Also I know I can't do this immediately, probably January or February.

bwhhisc
6th January 2006, 12:16 AM
Maybe this could be incorporated into this Forum as it starts up. Overall, I think it is a good idea. I would like to see what the market will bear on some of those IDN "plums" out there. What do you call this term in your countries?? Bill

bramiozo
13th January 2006, 10:58 PM
I don't mind paying a fee for your efforts, I have the feeling that you're doing a whole lot of work (+ making a lot of expenses) for our benefit.

Further, of course you don't "necessarily" have to copy the idea of a gold, silver etc. forum, but basically a membership, non-membership division is a good idea plus maybe a premium section.

On top of everything else, you are going to NEED moderators.

g
13th January 2006, 11:45 PM
I also don't mind paying for membership as long as it is in the normal level and affordable .

but I don't think it is a suitable time to apply it.

about the tools we need some translation tools or links ...that will be a great addition.

I think if you said that you offer a free membership to the first 100 member , that will be a great boost and many will join at least to reserve a place . after you reach 100 members or so you can start to talk about membership fee and advertising . Also you won't have to exert alot of effort to add alot of information to attract visitors to the forum, but the info will be added by the new members and the forum will build itself . you will just watch and you may need moderators at that point.

hope I said something useful.

Good luck Olney:)

gammascalper
14th January 2006, 01:52 AM
I also don't mind paying for membership as long as it is in the normal level and affordable .

but I don't think it is a suitable time to apply it.

about the tools we need some translation tools or links ...that will be a great addition.

I think if you said that you offer a free membership to the first 100 member , that will be a great boost and many will join at least to reserve a place . after you reach 100 members or so you can start to talk about membership fee and advertising . Also you won't have to exert alot of effort to add alot of information to attract visitors to the forum, but the info will be added by the new members and the forum will build itself . you will just watch and you may need moderators at that point.

hope I said something useful.

Good luck Olney:)

Good suggestion g.

Something along these lines would be good. Perhaps you can let us know what level of donation you're looking for?

The members who are in a situation to pay a little more can do so in completely anonymous fashion.

In the meantime, perhaps grandfather current members with 10+ posts to paid membership level?

13th February 2006, 01:32 AM
Hi,

Olney, are you adding a chatroom anytime soon?

Thanks!

thegenius1
13th February 2006, 01:42 AM
Hi,

Olney, are you adding a chatroom anytime soon?

Thanks!

Can we get a chat room today or tommoro, this will really bring alot of value and member communication to the forum imo

bwhhisc
13th February 2006, 01:51 AM
[QUOTE=thegenius1]Can we get a chat room today or tommoro, /QUOTE]

Today or tomorrow? Give the man a reasonable timeframe to see when this can be incorporated. Is that a 1 or an i for impatient!
Your still A-OK genius1, you will light up the chatroom I am sure!

idnowner
13th February 2006, 01:54 AM

Today or tomorrow? Give the man a reasonable timeframe to see when this can be incorporated. Is that a 1 or an i for impatient!
Your still A-OK genius1...!

I agree. Olney will need at least 3 or 4 days to get this done! (Assuming he has to write all the code from scratch)

IDNCowboy
13th February 2006, 01:56 AM
good idea but there should be a rule of no sales conducted in the chatroom as activity isn't logged. Sales should always be finalized via PM/Post

thegenius1
13th February 2006, 01:57 AM

Your still A-OK genius1, you will light up the chatroom I am sure!

Okay man, that is just a figuire of speech :) but i do have some links of some free chat scripts if needed