PDA

View Full Version : .mobi - Now it's in decline -confirmed!

Wot
19th February 2007, 11:39 PM
Now you guys can be happy. :)

Just seen recent auctions at Sedo- all sold:

SouthKorea.mobi $3K +

Burma.mobi mid $xxx

TurksAndCaicos.mobi, mid $xxx

NorthKorea.mobi low $xxx

Fka200
19th February 2007, 11:50 PM
northkorea went for low xxx! whoa!

thegenius1
20th February 2007, 12:11 AM
northkorean went for low xxx! whoa!

NorthKorea.jp

北朝鮮.jp

Taking xxx offers via pm :p

ScottFish
20th February 2007, 07:20 AM
i think north and south were sold by the same person.

Wot
20th February 2007, 09:46 AM
i think north and south were sold by the same person.

They were all sold by the same person, and Gaza.mobi :eek:

A good profit nonetheless! $

touchring
20th February 2007, 10:10 AM
They were all sold by the same person, and Gaza.mobi :eek:

A good profit nonetheless! $

Yes, smart move. Cash out while some still believe there is value.

Read this thread - http://domainstate.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=74039

sarcle
20th February 2007, 04:41 PM
Yes, smart move. Cash out while some still believe there is value.

Read this thread - http://domainstate.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=74039

Smart and decidedly Bad move. Good for him made some cash. Bad for .mobi right before the next auction.

touchring
20th February 2007, 04:54 PM
Smart and decidedly Bad move. Good for him made some cash. Bad for .mobi right before the next auction.

I think there might be surprises in the auction, the likes of rick can throw in a few more hundred grand -they got the money?

We have to take a medium term view - over a year or so to see the real trend.

thefabfive
20th February 2007, 05:01 PM
--- edited ---

sarcle
20th February 2007, 05:05 PM
the likes of rick can throw in a few more hundred grand -they got the money?

It's not whether the got the "money." It's who's going to buy it again? Last time it set of a craze now it's pretty much died out, think the market will believe it again?

Hell, IDNs get way more traffic and are much more in the bank than .mobi, but are still seen as "speculative" compared to what people will pay for .info and the likes. Hell even revenue IDNs are hard to sell.

touchring
20th February 2007, 06:23 PM
The domain mkt as a whole is lethargic. Now with the mobi hype over, it's even quieter - just look at the number of new threads/posts on DNF. Falling PPC is creating a negative impact on sentiments.

So it looks like we really need to play the SEO game to earn some adsense cash while waiting for the next hype.

Fka200
20th February 2007, 06:53 PM
The domain mkt as a whole is lethargic. Now with the mobi hype over, it's even quieter - just look at the number of new threads/posts on DNF. Falling PPC is creating a negative impact on sentiments.

So it looks like we really need to play the SEO game to earn some adsense cash while waiting for the next hype.

Amen. One of the wisest things I have read on the forum so far.

Touch, you are my savior... now if only we can learn some really good SEO techniques.

Olney, wanna take the torch from touch? ;)

touchring
20th February 2007, 07:08 PM
Amen. One of the wisest things I have read on the forum so far.

Touch, you are my savior... now if only we can learn some really good SEO techniques.

Olney, wanna take the torch from touch? ;)

Thks, but Olney's really one of the first here to emphasize on development. I'm just following the trend, like almost everyone else.

jose
20th February 2007, 07:36 PM
“You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time.”

Abraham Lincoln

alpha
20th February 2007, 08:01 PM
“You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on.”

George W. Bush

true.

jacksonm
20th February 2007, 09:37 PM
It's not whether the got the "money." It's who's going to buy it again? Last time it set of a craze now it's pretty much died out, think the market will believe it again?

From my relatively small amount of experience on the subject, I believe that the fate of .mobi rests in the hands of the handset manufacturers such as Nokia, Sony, Motorola, etc. It's also a symbiosis with the advertising agencies - in 3GSM, they mentioned that mobile advertising would become a USD 15b+ business over the next several years. When can advertising agencies start to deliver location based ads based on the location of the phone?

They pushed .mobi at 3GSM in Barcelona last week, now let's see if they put their money where their mouth is and do a few things to promote .mobi, such as make it the default extension on mobile devices, setup some phone support sites with .mobi, etc.

If you tell the average idiot (90% of the population) that .mobi is meant for mobile phones, I think that they will believe it, remember it, and start to use it. Of course, we know that we can detect a user agent from whatever tld and feed it appropriate content if we are so motivated, but the average idiot can't fathom such a concept.

--
jacksonm

thegenius1
20th February 2007, 09:38 PM
“You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on.”

George W. Bush

true.

I thought this is What Dubya is famous For :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qDuG0ZYD5I

Fool Me once ( 5 second pause) shame on ............................. shame on you ......................................Fool me Cant get fooled Again

Wot
20th February 2007, 11:31 PM

Yes, the domain market in general seems to be in mothballs. My sales/ppc are way down in the last couple of months after two very good years.

Also significant is that yet again a .mobi thread gets the most attention on what is an IDN forum. ;)

yanni
21st February 2007, 01:35 AM
Also significant is that yet again a .mobi thread gets the most attention on what is an IDN forum. ;)

We're here for the drama. Mobi and pre-op transsexuals are the hot topics.

Wot
21st February 2007, 01:49 AM

Next the book and then the movie. :rolleyes:

sarcle
21st February 2007, 02:24 AM

You have to feed on this stuff, how else do you get new domain ideas? The common ones are already gone.

We were sane once. But that was a long, long time ago.

tee1
21st February 2007, 02:31 AM
We were sane once. But that was a long, long time ago.
Maybe you were but are sure about the rest of us:o

tee1

touchring
21st February 2007, 04:03 AM
From my relatively small amount of experience on the subject, I believe that the fate of .mobi rests in the hands of the handset manufacturers such as Nokia, Sony, Motorola, etc.

You need to analyze this in detail. All that glitters is not gold. Indepth understanding is required to know whether mobis will succeed.

Just like when Saddam supports terrorism, doesn't mean he supports Al Qaeda. Now with Saddam gone, Iraq is overrun with the ladens.

America wasted a huge amount of money, time, reputation, and 3000 soldiers on a wrong policy, and maybe the next American president has to find another dictator to solve Iraq's problem.

So, is it oil? There's a chinese saying from the Han dynasty period that aptly describes this situation - 陪了夫人, 又折兵
http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:pzvnd_syA-MJ:bbs.betabbs.com/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D39262+%E9%99%AA%E4%BA%86%E5%A4%AB%E4%BA%BA%E5%8F%88%E6%8A%98%E5%85%B5&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=sg&lr=lang_en