PDA

View Full Version : Does Google Penalize for too many inbound links

Samuel4
23rd February 2007, 06:52 AM
Hi All,

I wanted to ask your opinions about this Googles penalty for having build too many inbound links in a short period of time

webmasterworld.com/google/3084915.htm

I need to do link building for a client and plan to simply build 10-20 links in a span of 3-6 months. Is that okay?

I plan to get links from good sources NOT blogs or forums. My client sells specialty electronics so i will only go to electronics review sites.

At any rate, this is a small site with currently 50 inbound links. will 20 additional links from quality websites that write orginal electronics reviews be a problem you think, in a 3-6 month window?

domainguru
23rd February 2007, 07:01 AM
Hi All,

I wanted to ask your opinions about this Googles penalty for having build too many inbound links in a short period of time

webmasterworld.com/google/3084915.htm

I need to do link building for a client and plan to simply build 10-20 links in a span of 3-6 months. Is that okay?

I plan to get links from good sources NOT blogs or forums. My client sells specialty electronics so i will only go to electronics review sites.

At any rate, this is a small site with currently 50 inbound links. will 20 additional links from quality websites that write orginal electronics reviews be a problem you think, in a 3-6 month window?

Absolutely not. The only thing google is possibly concerned about is people setting up or signing up for link farms. They can create hundreds or thousands of links in a few days. If you are do nothing "dodgy" you have absolutely no need to worry about getting incoming links from relevant sites. That is how Google basically measures whether your pages are worth ranking!

touchring
23rd February 2007, 08:16 AM
Avoid link farms, there's a penalty. I once tried engaging a freelancer to create links for me, but he ends up submitting to link farms - i quickly asked him to stop. This is not the kind of inbound link which i want!

domainguru
23rd February 2007, 08:34 AM
Avoid link farms, there's a penalty. I once tried engaging a freelancer to create links for me, but he ends up submitting to link farms - i quickly asked him to stop. This is not the kind of inbound link which i want!

That's why you should do this stuff yourself, so you know what is going on. But if you even think about using link farms, you really aren't the right person to be doing SEO. It's not about "tricking Google", its about building good quality content that other sites want to link to. No short cuts, just good planning and hard work.

touchring
23rd February 2007, 08:42 AM
That's why you should do this stuff yourself, so you know what is going on. But if you even think about using link farms, you really aren't the right person to be doing SEO. It's not about "tricking Google", its about building good quality content that other sites want to link to. No short cuts, just good planning and hard work.

The days i do such work myself is gone. I've trained one of the guys in china to create links using various methods. I reckon that this sort of work cannot be done by those pay per link freelancers. It's just too risky.

Yes, i agree about the real traffic from backlinks - it can be substantial depending on the quality of the linker site.

seamo
23rd February 2007, 09:02 AM
The only other possible relevant concern I am aware of is linking to too many sites that you personally own, or 'interlinking'.

touchring
23rd February 2007, 09:27 AM
The only other possible relevant concern I am aware of is linking to too many sites that you personally own, or 'interlinking'.

I've heard of that, but have not seen proof that it happens. Have you?

And if i'm really paranoid on this, i think i could house the various sites on different ip addresses and set different contacts in whois. :)

filmlion
2nd March 2007, 10:20 PM
here is a simple tip for a topic-starter: create as many as you can but follow the simple rule: make each anchor text for each link unique. thus each your inbound link would be considered somewhat important. also if you create thousands links in 1 day, it would be only noticed by google when it visits you next. not the next day :)

seamo
2nd March 2007, 10:30 PM
I've heard of that, but have not seen proof that it happens. Have you?

And if i'm really paranoid on this, i think i could house the various sites on different ip addresses and set different contacts in whois. :)
I had never heard of it until this post - http://www.idnforums.com/forums/6311-interlinking.html?highlight=interlinking

Not seen any proof yet though - but I will certainly be testing the boundaries of this with a big project that's underway.

xxbossmanxx
2nd March 2007, 10:35 PM
Just make a quality site, the engines change all the time and the search engines goal is to put quality on the top. Every thing they do is to try to filter cheats, scams and garbage and hand the search user the good stuff.

If a search engine gets that right then they get more customers and they get rich so this is very important to them. The major search engines will have break thru stuff in the very near future that 100% changes the search engine ranking system.

Drewbert
3rd March 2007, 12:26 AM
>Just make a quality site

Ah. But if you make 50 quality sites (even HIGH quality top 10) and they're all on the smae IP# and have the smae WHOIS data, then Google will penalise.

dusty
3rd March 2007, 12:35 AM
I added 150,000 links to two domains of similar content and subject.

The older more established site had them all indexed in Yahoo and MSN and shot from number 4 Google for my main keyword to number one in about 3 months time. This is a very competitive term and that move is very dramatic. The links and number 1 on Google have held for over two months. I do not think it was all because of the links, but obviously I was not punished.

The second less established site has only had Yahoo and MSN show 3,000 of those links as back-links. However, the sites rank has also improved.

Several other factors also went in to my campaign and I do not attribute everything to the links. My sites are very optimized and have quality content updated regularly.

I do not think Google will punish for adding too many links too fast. Otherwise it would be easy to kill the competition by signing them up at all the link farms.

Google loves back links and of course 1 quality back-link is better than 10,000 that are of no value. I go for both high volume crap and and high quality when I can get them.

seamo
3rd March 2007, 05:19 AM
>Just make a quality site

Ah. But if you make 50 quality sites (even HIGH quality top 10) and they're all on the smae IP# and have the smae WHOIS data, then Google will penalise.
What is their reasoning for penalising?

Have they documented this anywhere?

touchring
3rd March 2007, 07:28 AM
I do not think Google will punish for adding too many links too fast. Otherwise it would be easy to kill the competition by signing them up at all the link farms.

Google loves back links and of course 1 quality back-link is better than 10,000 that are of no value. I go for both high volume crap and and high quality when I can get them.

It's not number of links, but the kind of backlinks. Links from penalized sites obviously is undesirable and might incur a slight penalty.

Drewbert
3rd March 2007, 08:05 PM
What is their reasoning for penalising?

Have they documented this anywhere?

http://frankschilling.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/03/maintaining_sea.html

"I know Google became an iCANN registrar to keep an eye on the name-space and improve their algo, not to offer consumer registrations. They check Whois (do you own others names that are parked?), Nameservers (is it hosted with a known parking co?), Created date (is it old?), Upated date (recently updated?, in tandem with the expiry?) and Expiry date (was it renewed for a 'one year' term after dropping or for 10 yrs[for keeps]?) "