PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding some German domain issues.

ukdom
14th February 2006, 03:32 PM
Hi.
I'm pretty new to domaining and when first starting went a bit mad and rushed straight in registering some (what I thought at the time) were good German domain names, both IDN and in regular characters.

Now first off a question, when reg'ing German names, I thought I had picked up on the fact that after the .de ccTLD then .info TLD is more popular than .com - is this correct?

Next, as I mentioned I picked up a couple of German domains (mostly .info) one of which I am now unsure of in respect of a trademark issue.

This is euroscheckkarte<dot>com and <dot>info

Any thoughts?

If you would likw to see what else I have reg'd then please have a look on SEDO as follows:

http://www.sedo.com/search/searchresult.php4?showuser=ukdomainer

BTW, apologies if this contravenes any rules about posting links, I did look to see if it was allowed and could find nothing to say it was not.

Thanks for a great forum.

huronargentino
14th February 2006, 04:00 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum
I dont know if the german most used tld its the .info
I would say that you are correct about the .de
but if you have the chance to get the .com
you must do it!
.info extension its also popular, but might be because some time ago fees where reduced (in a period was even free in some sites).
But the .com its still also really valuable, and now also the idns.com in german made some kick ass sales!

ukdom
14th February 2006, 04:23 PM
Believe me, if I can get the .com domains I will, but I haven't had much luck!

huronargentino
14th February 2006, 04:48 PM
yes, i know
but why dont you try the idns .com in german?
there are still lot available!

ukdom
14th February 2006, 05:15 PM
I am attempting that, the biggest problem (which probably applies across all IDN domaining) is getting the correct translation of the word in the way you intend it. Not speaking any other languages other than schoolboy French, I rely on the online translators which sometimes give you the wrong translation for what you are trying to do.
Obviously by researching it a bit more you can determine pretty much if it's correct through searching at Google etc.
Thanks for your help.

For instance, just translated 'credit rating' on dictionary.com and it comes up as Bonitätsbeurteilung, however this actually means something like 'soil quality evaluation' !!
Anyone know of a better online translator?

DeTep
15th February 2006, 03:16 AM
I own over 600 german domains and IDN along with cno.
I refuse registering info and biz because I simply don´t like them.
.de is almost chance less because everthing is taken. However, I also own german IDN domains.

I went through your list and didn´t find anything interessting :( - I am very sorry to say that.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

DeTep

touchring
15th February 2006, 05:03 AM
I'm quite amazed to know that .info is better than .com. So far, it seems that almost all the announced deals on German idns on Sedo are .info and .biz. As i understand, the word 'information' also starts with .info in German, and also for most European languages, whereas .com doesn't mean much in native languages.

Another issue is hyphen - am i correct that for compound terms, the one with the hyphen is more valuable/preferred over that without the hyphen?

I recently sorted my IDNs into Excel, breakdown by language, got the following German domains, what do you guys think? I hope to get 80% correct. :-D

damenunterwäsche.com
günstige-kredite.com -> not sure if the one with the 'ge' is better or worst than just 'g'.
schönheitsoperationen.net
körner.com
künstleragenturen.com
gebäudereiniger.com
wärmekabine.com
kaffeemühle.com
liebeserklärung.com
rössler.com
computergehäuse.com
empfänger.com
zöllner.com
jürgens.com
hülle.com
zündapp.com
lüdenscheid.com
rüsselsheim.com
liebeserklärungen.com
österreichisch.com --> there are many grammar variations to this, i can't figure out if i got a good one. :-)
günstig-einkaufen.com

DeTep
15th February 2006, 05:16 AM
As far as my believe is concerned .biz and .info are only only on a temporarily run. IDN .com and .net are already far too expensive in order to be dealt every day.
However, I only own german IDN .de, com, net and org.

The only biz I own is lübeck.biz and I am willig to sell this one fast ;)

Some domains out of your list a pretty nice, such as

damenunterwäsche.com
schönheitsoperationen.net
körner.com
liebeserklärung.com

günstige-kredite.com is spelled correct.

DeTep
fahrräder.com

touchring
15th February 2006, 10:01 AM
Thks. I've always wondered what körner is?

The AV translator says "Grains", but when i search yahoo.de, it showed up as a common surname.

BTW, is Yahoo.de popular in Germany?

DeTep
16th February 2006, 03:36 AM
sure, yahoo.de is very popular in germany. Still Google is the #1 serach engine.

Körner can be translated as seeds or grain, correct.
Körner is a surname also, but in my opinion not really a common one.

regards,
DeTep

touchring
16th February 2006, 08:10 AM
Thks, because i have always been wondering the gap between De OVT and Jp OVT - since Germany and Japan are around the same size. One explanation is Yahoo is overwhelmingly popular in Japan. The large values returned by JP OVT has led to a rush for Japanese domains.

DeTep
16th February 2006, 08:33 AM
yahoo is popular in germany, but there are many german alternatives such as web.de, hotmail.com, gmx.de etc.

As for german IDN, I believe that the value increases every day. äöü are in common use and, therefore, there is no other way for german IDN to become popular and earn more traffic ;)

Lets see what impact the IE7 will have.

regards,
DeTep

ukdom
16th February 2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks for that honest (if painful) view on the names I have so far. :(

I didn't expect them to be that good after realising I hadn't enough research on what the words actually meant, the translator I was using seems to have been giving me duff results.

If anyone could translate them correctly for me I would be grateful.

Anyway, live and learn, and I'm interested about the comments re. extensions as I've found a couple of domains, one a .net and one a .org, both German dictionary words but not IDNs. Are they worth going for do you think?

Also there was a comment from touchring I think about hyphenated compound terms being preferrable to un-hyphenated terms, which is the opposite to how it is perceived for english word domains I believe. Is this true do you think?

touchring
16th February 2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks for that honest (if painful) view on the names I have so far. :(

I didn't expect them to be that good after realising I hadn't enough research on what the words actually meant, the translator I was using seems to have been giving me duff results.

If anyone could translate them correctly for me I would be grateful.

Anyway, live and learn, and I'm interested about the comments re. extensions as I've found a couple of domains, one a .net and one a .org, both German dictionary words but not IDNs. Are they worth going for do you think?

Also there was a comment from touchring I think about hyphenated compound terms being preferrable to un-hyphenated terms, which is the opposite to how it is perceived for english word domains I believe. Is this true do you think?

I remembered there was a South Tyrol idn sale that was hypernated?

I also suspect that Russians would prefer the hyphenated version of Russian idns, although i've not seen enough cases to confirm.

touchring
21st February 2006, 06:42 PM
Took tüv.net today and länger.com yesterday.

Still wondering if i've wasted money. :-(

IDNCowboy
21st February 2006, 06:53 PM
Took tüv.net today and länger.com yesterday.

Still wondering if i've wasted money. :-(
i was looking to get tuv too
looks like its the first word of a gazillion companies

touchring
21st February 2006, 07:34 PM
i was looking to get tuv too
looks like its the first word of a gazillion companies

I was deciding between it and some Korean 2-word generics. One of the korean generic, 'ideagoods.com', is still available.

Drewbert
21st February 2006, 09:42 PM
I looked at tüv and decided against it, as the chances of receiving a UDRP would be pretty high IMHO.

IDNCowboy
21st February 2006, 09:47 PM
I looked at tüv and decided against it, as the chances of receiving a UDRP would be pretty high IMHO.
how? there are a bunch of companies that have "Tuv" as their first word... check google

touchring
22nd February 2006, 02:57 AM
how? there are a bunch of companies that have "Tuv" as their first word... check google

tüv is a common word, looks as though there are a couple thousand websites using that word. Anyway, it's a .net, isn't that fantastic. What about länger.com? länger is 'longer'. :-)

touchring
23rd February 2006, 07:13 PM
Got this 2 today, any comments?

telefonbücher.com -> translator says directories, but is it really phonebook?
düren.com