PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Reports

Rubber Duck
15th February 2006, 08:59 AM
Yes, things are happening in the IDN world and I think TRAFFIC is a word that no longer needs to be whisphered although I wouldn't go shouting REVENUE just yet!

I have started this thread in the hope that we can together build a picture of to what extent Traffic already exists and how it is growing.

I have recently had all my domains pointed at the forum so I have had no real way of monitoring traffic. Yesterday, though I redirected a substantial part of my Portfolio (everything other than Japanese and Chinese) at Namedrive, much of is for the first time. I have to say I am a little surprised by the initial findings.

In Somewhat less than a 24hr period I have come up with the following:

Folder Views Domains
Portfolio Totals 337 1421

Arabic 149 508
HIndi 66 243
Russian 65 374
Bangla 29 79

I was a little surprise by Arabic especially as we know a lot of these names have no value. The Hindi figures are much higher than expected, and I have to say I was Gob-smacked by Bangla. The other Indic Scripts, however, are showing no real action at present.

These figures suggest that the debate should be once again starting to focus on issues of Parking, Conversion Rates and Keyword Targeting.

Any contributions welcomed.

Edwin
15th February 2006, 09:10 AM
I haven't got my domains sorted by language yet, but here are my numbers for yesterday...

Domains: 914
Traffic: 268 visitors

bramiozo
15th February 2006, 09:47 AM
My traffic evolution with 60-80 names

http://beginnerguides.com.server6.firstfind.nl/fotos/traffic.jpg

Rubber Duck
15th February 2006, 10:03 AM
Looks more like a Cardiograph, but the patient is definitely recovering!

bramiozo
15th February 2006, 10:29 AM
Somebody call a doctor :=) . I can't see any logic in this graph, any correlation would be like throwing dice.

Rubber Duck
15th February 2006, 10:32 AM
The Regular big spikes are almost certainly Search Engine Spiders at work! I noticed similar pattern on Trafficz 18 months ago.

Explorer
15th February 2006, 10:49 AM
I usually look at traffic by region, which is somewhat stable day in/day out. North American traffic is probably generated by fellow IDNers who are checking if the domain names are available :-)

alex
15th February 2006, 11:43 AM
I had .77 views per domain yesterday. All from North America and my IDN portfolio is exclusively Japanese.

thefabfive
15th February 2006, 02:24 PM
Here are the stats for February for my Russian and Arabic domains:

Russian - 1673 views from 347 domains (Average 120 views/ day)
Arabic - 108 views from 67 domains (Average 8 views / day)

Traffic is sporadic but the Russian names actually convert fairly decently (17%). I haven't seen any trends but there are definitely people looking. Sometimes at the domains I'd least expect (for example I get about 6 views a day from a Russian .net while the .com just sits there).

drbiohealth
15th February 2006, 03:15 PM
Well, I am seeing bulk of traffic from North America, and that is what I don't understand much. Stats are like,

80 against 280 names, all hindi

Are there more hindi speakers in America than India???

Giant
15th February 2006, 03:31 PM
Well, I am seeing bulk of traffic from North America, and that is what I don't understand much. Stats are like,

If you're looking at the stats provided by your PPC provider, maybe your India traffics were blocked and did not show up.

Just to confirm Dave's findings:

My IDNs receive more than 100,000 views a month.

idn
15th February 2006, 03:39 PM

I was wondering the same thing about China. Anyone know if there are more Chinese speakers in America than in China?

gammascalper
15th February 2006, 03:43 PM
I was wondering the same thing about China. Anyone know if there are more Chinese speakers in America than in China?

There'd have to be 10x more people in the US and half would have to speak Chinese!

idn
15th February 2006, 03:54 PM
There'd have to be 10x more people in the US and half would have to speak Chinese!

Really, so it is a BIG place then?

Rubber Duck
15th February 2006, 04:01 PM
Really, so it is a BIG place then?

Yes, not like China or India, but the US is quite a big place?

Not quite sure what language they speak but quite a few of them understand English.

It would seem that the majority of traffic in all scripts is coming from North America.
That would probably explain why we are being marked down for the poor quality of the traffic, but
it is still encouraging due to low penetrations of Firefox in America.

idn
15th February 2006, 04:16 PM
Not quite sure what language they speak but quite a few of them understand English.

Yes, the language has changed quite a bit since we kicked you guys out of here.

My hindi domains receive 95% traffic from the US.

touchring
15th February 2006, 04:19 PM
If you're looking at the stats provided by your PPC provider, maybe your India traffics were blocked and did not show up.

I believe you have the biggest collection of Chinese domains among us, what do you think about the following suspicions:

1). idn.com redirect to idn.cn (i've check 2 places in china and it doesn't happen, but i've not experimented on browsers with the .cn plugin).

2). Sedo and namedrive ban on China traffic?

Rubber Duck
15th February 2006, 04:38 PM

Actually you may have misinterpreted my numbers due to the interface reformating my post. I am not getting anything even remotely like a 100K views a months.

Would it be possible to given us any indications on:

a) Which languages most of that traffic is coming in on?

b) Where you are obtaining the traffic statistics?

c) What are the highest traffic levels per domain you are experiencing?

drbiohealth
15th February 2006, 04:49 PM

Is this a quote from Dave or is it that your domains are getting that much traffic. That's a big traffic number in the present times. How many domains you get that much traffic from?

gammascalper
15th February 2006, 04:54 PM
It would seem that the majority of traffic in all scripts is coming from North America.

Russian and Thai IDN seem to receive mostly local traffic.

I'm receiving roughly 70% of traffic and 100% clickthrus from Europe for Russian domains. Thai domains receive about 60% traffic from Asia. I didn't see any of this before I moved from Sedo to Namedrive.

touchring
15th February 2006, 05:11 PM
I'm one who hates adding domains and keywords to Sedo - i've got 300 domains but parked only about 50.

But based on domains i added in early January, French and German domains are performing better than expected. I get click thrus for Chinese and Japanese domains as well, but very minimal -> that's why i've been telling our 'Japanese IDN fan' friends not to get too excited over JP OVT - this is the reason.

Some stats from Sedo for Feb - i've not figured out how to change keyword so most are displaying general ads.

électroménager.com électromén... 26 9 34.62% €0.06 €0.55
cheminées.com Cheminées 7 5 71.43% €0.05 €0.23
jyväskylä.com Jyväskylä 41 6 14.63% €0.03 €0.20
rüsselsheim.com Rüsselsheim 4 2 50.00% €0.05 €0.10
zöllner.com Zöllner 3 2 66.67% €0.05 €0.10
lüdenscheid.com Lüdenscheid 12 2 16.67% €0.04 €0.08
künstleragenturen.com Künstlerage... 5 1 20.00% €0.07 €0.07
rössler.com Rössler 5 1 20.00% €0.05 €0.05
gebäudereiniger.com Gebäuderein... 1 1 100.00% €0.05 €0.05

Giant
15th February 2006, 05:11 PM
I believe you have the biggest collection of Chinese domains among us, what do you think about the following suspicions:

1). idn.com redirect to idn.cn (i've check 2 places in china and it doesn't happen, but i've not experimented on browsers with the .cn plugin).

2). Sedo and namedrive ban on China traffic?

1). I don't see why you have to redirect idn.com to idn.cn. If the traffic source is from China and no one wants it then you can't monetize it.

2). Yes, Sedo is blocked by China. I am not sure about Namedrive, I don't use them.

In about a few more weeks, I will tell you how to make money from your Chinese traffics. I am waiting for their (PPC) opening announcement.

Giant
15th February 2006, 05:24 PM
Actually you may have misinterpreted my numbers due to the interface reformating my post. I am not getting anything even remotely like a 100K views a months.

Would it be possible to given us any indications on:

a) Which languages most of that traffic is coming in on?

b) Where you are obtaining the traffic statistics?

c) What are the highest traffic levels per domain you are experiencing?

I have seen quite significant Chinese traffic in the last 12 months, but I just used a spreadsheet to sort out my Chinese traffic from other places last week. I own more than 1,000 Chinese IDNs and the total uv is more than 100k per month.

a) Sim. Chinese IDN, traffics from China.

b) I use my own server with stats tools. If you park you domains at a PPC provider, you probably won't see the traffic because most providers don't show these traffics.

c) The highest ones are between 200uv - 300uv per day

Rubber Duck
15th February 2006, 06:06 PM
I have seen quite significant Chinese traffic in the last 12 months, but I just used a spreadsheet to sort out my Chinese traffic from other places last week. I own more than 1,000 Chinese IDNs and the total uv is more than 100k per month.

a) Sim. Chinese IDN, traffics from China.

b) I use my own server with stats tools. If you park you domains at a PPC provider, you probably won't see the traffic because most providers don't show these traffics.

c) The highest ones are between 200uv - 300uv per day

That really is most interesting. Are you Simplified Chinese mainly dot com or dot cn. We have very similar sized portfolios of Chinese Domains, but mine are predominantly dot coms.

Giant
15th February 2006, 07:04 PM
That really is most interesting. Are you Simplified Chinese mainly dot com or dot cn. We have very similar sized portfolios of Chinese Domains, but mine are predominantly dot coms.

95% of mine are Simplified Chinese dot com

touchring
15th February 2006, 07:31 PM
I think .NETs are going to be pretty important especially with IDN since the domain itself is in Chinese - Many Chinese websites have NET or 网 in them, so the .NET version is actually more "accurate" for those.

For popular keywords (OVT >200), i would sometimes consider register both versions in case a future buyer is particular about that.

sarcle
16th February 2006, 12:42 AM
My Traffic for www.gotidn.com (http://www.gotidn.com)

I have many of my idn's pointing there among various other traffic names.

Country Stats of Feb 1st.-Feb 14th.

Link (http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/3387/gotidn4ba.jpg)

Browser % Stats.

Link (http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/8853/gotidn11ji.jpg)

Interesting note, the high percentage of opera users are from Russia which is why I believe we have more traffic on our Russian Idn's currently.

IDNCowboy
16th February 2006, 01:21 AM

off topic but what are you using for english <--> hindi

drbiohealth
16th February 2006, 06:10 AM
Hi Jeff,

I don't use translation (from english to hindi) as I am pretty OK with hindi. I use a hindi editor to type words in unicode. Here is one editor available online:
http://www.geocities.com/matthewblackwell/hindiEditor.html

Cheers!

Giant
16th February 2006, 06:27 AM
I think .NETs are going to be pretty important especially with IDN since the domain itself is in Chinese - Many Chinese websites have NET or 网 in them, so the .NET version is actually more "accurate" for those.

For popular keywords (OVT >200), i would sometimes consider register both versions in case a future buyer is particular about that.

Only 1% of my domains are .net, I did not pick up even [bank].net a few months ago. But now things have changed and I guess your assessment is correct.

Rubber Duck
16th February 2006, 07:00 AM

http://www.shabdkosh.com/

gammascalper
16th February 2006, 03:32 PM
1)In about a few more weeks, I will tell you how to make money from your Chinese traffics. I am waiting for their (PPC) opening announcement.

Will this new PPC service provide parking options for traffic from other countries, or just China?

In which country will it be based?

The next few weeks are going to pass very slowly for me...

Rubber Duck
16th February 2006, 03:46 PM
Couldn't find Giant's original quote, but if he does know how Chinese Traffic can be monetized, then Giant is understatement! He will assume legendary status overnight. I won't sleep tonight now!

Giant
16th February 2006, 03:49 PM
Will this new PPC service provide parking options for traffic from other countries, or just China?

In which country will it be based?

This company is based in China.

Yes, you can use their service to monetize the traffic from China and from other countries.

The next few weeks are going to pass very slowly for me...

I just checked, I could have the magic to make time pass fast for you. Stay tune! :-)

Rubber Duck
16th February 2006, 04:06 PM
I just checked, I could have the magic to make time pass fast for you. Stay tune! :-)

I am glued to the screen!

touchring
16th February 2006, 04:10 PM
Any parking service based in China will really help us. Somehow i am worried the long term effects of using enom or sedo name servers on my idns!