PDA

View Full Version : Making an IDN website and SEO issues

OldIDNer
15th February 2006, 12:03 PM
Has anyone made an idn (Unicode) website here? By this I mean actually hosting it as opposed to using redirection or frames.

How would/do you do it? Do you host the punycode? Could both urls, the punycode and unicode get indexed and possibly cause some sort of duplicate content penalty on Google?

Thanks.

alex
15th February 2006, 12:20 PM
Has anyone made an idn (Unicode) website here? By this I mean actually hosting it as opposed to using redirection or frames.

How would/do you do it? Do you host the punycode? Could both urls, the punycode and unicode get indexed and possibly cause some sort of duplicate content penalty on Google?

Thanks.

I've just been experimenting, but the server side setup, domain, DNS, is all punycode. I don't think UTF-8 will work for that type of server/network setup, which is the reason for punycode.

The page encoding and databases can all be in UTF-8, but the underlying URLs and server paths are punycode ASCII.

---

By the way, I have a related question of my own...for a database supporting multiple-languages, including Asian languages, on the same site, what is the best MySQL collation to use?

I've been using utf8_bin, because I read about issues with utf8_general_ci and Asian scripts. Is utf8_unicode_ci a better choice than utf8_bin?

What are the tradeoffs and issues with the various collations, particularly with multiple Asian character scripts?

bramiozo
15th February 2006, 12:33 PM
I use utf8_general_ci and I have experienced no problems with this collation, not yet anyway :) .

alex
16th February 2006, 11:37 AM
I use utf8_general_ci and I have experienced no problems with this collation, not yet anyway :) .

Thanks for the reply. In the brief search I did for collations, I got the impression that utf8_general_ci was better for European languages and less accurate for other scripts. I don't really know why though, or what the differences are between utf8_general_ci, utf8_unicode_ci and utf8_bin.

OldIDNer
16th February 2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks alex.

BandAid
16th February 2006, 03:27 PM

Thanks.

Hello. I did one idn site a few days ago http://漢字.com. No redirections; no frames.

On the host site I had to use punycode. I'm not sure about google's duplicate content.

gammascalper
16th February 2006, 03:51 PM
I put one up a few months ago as an experiment: 항공.com.

-- Search Engine Page Results

It's been indexed by Yahoo.com correctly but does not show up at all in Yahoo.co.kr, which would be much more relevant.

MSN.com, MSN.co.kr, Google.com and Google.co.kr are not showing the site in their index at all, allthough the site is being actively crawled.

-- AdSense

Meta tags are in Korean and most content is also in Korean which I hoped would be enough for Mediabot to understand what kind of ads to serve. For the first couple of months it worked and AdSense was showing ads in Korean. Now for some reason all that's showing is a public service ad in Japanese.

I'm pretty sure it's not an inventory issue because Google shows quite a few ads for the url keyword.

dabsi
5th March 2006, 03:03 PM
I did : www.maghrébine.com and accepted by both yahoo and google

Ciao

Dabsi

touchring
26th March 2006, 09:32 AM
While looking at this old thread, i tried googling some of my newly added domains to ND, and realized some are actually indexed by Google!

Those indexed by Google had their view shots up many folds!!

gammascalper
26th March 2006, 04:59 PM
While looking at this old thread, i tried googling some of my newly added domains to ND, and realized some are actually indexed by Google!

Those indexed by Google had their view shots up many folds!!

How did the spider find these parked sites? Do they have backlinks somehow?

touchring
26th March 2006, 05:09 PM
How did the spider find these parked sites? Do they have backlinks somehow?

I only checked a 1 or 2, one of the names was mentioned on this forum, but there was not hyperlink, just the unicode.com in text form.

Anyway, i've just created a "site map" for my Arabic domains, uploading now, let's see if more domains get spidered over the next 2 weeks. If this works, i should be able to raise PPC to cover reg fees. :)

grunf
4th April 2006, 04:52 PM
Touchring -- how old are the sitest indexed by Google? How long were they at ND?

thanks

grunf

touchring
4th April 2006, 05:04 PM
The domain was at ND since the 11th March - it started with only 3-8 type-in a day (already quite significant for an IDN). But after the 20th March, hits surged to 10-20s/day, so i checked what's so special about that name, and realized it got indexed with 1st page ranking. Google also had a cache of the page on the 21st or 22nd or 23rd.

For the past 1 week, traffic is 50-95 a day. I also noticed that CTR has risen to 50-60% from 25-50% previously.

It is also possible that after a few more weeks, the domain disappear from google and enter what they call a 'sandbox' stage. Maybe SEO experts can provide a better explanation.

rhys
4th April 2006, 05:27 PM
I only checked a 1 or 2, one of the names was mentioned on this forum, but there was not hyperlink, just the unicode.com in text form.

Anyway, i've just created a "site map" for my Arabic domains, uploading now, let's see if more domains get spidered over the next 2 weeks. If this works, i should be able to raise PPC to cover reg fees. :)

Touchring, how does one create a "site map" and upload it to ND? I'd like to try and see if this does anything for a set of my Japanese IDNs parked there.

touchring
4th April 2006, 05:31 PM
Touchring, how does one create a "site map" and upload it to ND? I'd like to try and see if this does anything for a set of my Japanese IDNs parked there.

You can't upload anything to ND, the site map is just links to the IDNs.

You might want to make it such that the anchor text for the link is the Unicode keyword and not "xn--". Once google spider finds your site map, it will follow the links to ND's parking page. Depending on where your sitemap is placed, it may take some time for the spidering.

grunf
4th April 2006, 05:35 PM
yeah - I made the map as well, actually I did it couple of months ago for my regular domains -- IDNs I added only recently. Still waiting for Google though. But I did move a few days ago from sedo to ND, perhaps that helps. I'll happily let you know when I spot any change.

thefabfive
4th April 2006, 05:56 PM
I'm going to give it a try on my Farsi names. They have good CTR but lousy traffic so I should be also to spot any changes rather easily. I'll report back any interesting developments.

burnsinternet
2nd May 2006, 01:28 AM
I have had web sites up at several IDN domains for several months. No Googling yet, but I'll see how it goes. xn--b1ajehof.com (звонки.com) is an example, but I have many more of different types.

Olney
2nd May 2006, 02:29 AM
I think the sitemap route is good especially for country extensions like jp & cn etc.
Google has access to plenty of sites to get ingo about dot coms & dot nets but they can't easily get info for the country extensions.
That's why many see no traffic yet on jps. They are not indexed yet.

idn1234
19th June 2006, 05:06 PM
That's why many see no traffic yet on jps. They are not indexed yet.

Not sure about Google, but idn.jp's are
indexed in Yahoo search results...