PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to renew?

Lmg67
3rd March 2007, 10:11 PM
What's everyone doing regarding symbol renewals?

Mine are all up for renewal and I just don't know what to do. I wrote an email to IETF and they never responded. I would think that if they had good news, they would have responded reassuringly. But their silence worries me, like they aren't going to bother responding because it's not good news. I wrote them a 2nd email just asking them if they could please respond to my first one (did that today). We'll see if it helps.

Anyway, are you renewing? All of them? Some? etc.
Laurie

alpha
3rd March 2007, 10:54 PM

Mine are all up for renewal and I just don't know what to do. I wrote an email to IETF and they never responded. I would think that if they had good news, they would have responded reassuringly. But their silence worries me, like they aren't going to bother responding because it's not good news. I wrote them a 2nd email just asking them if they could please respond to my first one (did that today). We'll see if it helps.

Laurie

well I only have 2:

so, it's easy for me to say keep them.

I think we have all pretty much agreed that they have a limited life, like all these things, it comes down to 3 elements:

1) the $
2) the quantity
3) emotion

the first one is easy, if you have money to burn, why not just renew them and take the chance

the second one (is somewhat related to the first) - if you only have 1-50 of them, then i'd just renew them

the third is trickier. You can't let your emotions guide you, you need to accept their fate - no matter how much you don't want it to happen, won't change their fate

Knowing when to hold and when to fold is THE most important decision you will make

I don't know for sure, but I believe that you are heavily invested in these - so that will make it difficult for you to decide as points 1 & 2 above will apply, but you can't let 3 guide you.

It's your call at the end of the day - but my advice would at least be to mitigate the loss and drop some.

IDNer
3rd March 2007, 11:16 PM

Laurie

I've dropped 20 plus symbols during the past 2 years, but still have more than 30 in hand now.

I will keep about 90% of them come next renewal...

burnsinternet
4th March 2007, 08:09 AM
I have very few so it is an easy call for me. I believe that, someday, they will be allowed and accepted. I am keeping all of mine.

touchring
4th March 2007, 08:19 AM
keep the single char, drop the "symbol words".

:)

domainguru
4th March 2007, 12:15 PM
I have very few so it is an easy call for me. I believe that, someday, they will be allowed and accepted. I am keeping all of mine.

How does that sand taste?

alpha
4th March 2007, 12:33 PM

LMAO

yeah i like this tactic - i was just trying to be diplomatic and sensitive. but somesimes you just gotta call it what it is.

dabsi
4th March 2007, 04:51 PM
In Germany it is automatically renewed...so you can enjoy your Mauritius week ...

DABSI

touchring
4th March 2007, 05:40 PM
LMAO

yeah i like this tactic - i was just trying to be diplomatic and sensitive. but somesimes you just gotta call it what it is.

Lot of us like to collect stamps, this is no different in my opinion. Of cos, once the collector get bored, he might dump the collection away - if it can be sold, the better.

blastfromthepast
4th March 2007, 07:16 PM
Nice.

Rubber Duck
4th March 2007, 08:57 PM
In Germany it is automatically renewed...so you can enjoy your Mauritius week ...
DABSI

All decent registers offer auto renew as an option.

You don't by chance use that crazy outfit that own Sedo (1&1). They auto renew every bloody thing even domains that have been sold and transferred out to another registrar. Those are the only ones that I know that have a different system. In the end I got so pissed with those guys, I dropped a lot of my Dot co.uk rather than have anything more to do with them. Just not worth the aggrevation.

blastfromthepast
5th March 2007, 04:28 AM
For those who like a gamble, the 8 ball symbol domains are for sale:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/9621-8-ball.html

Lmg67
18th March 2007, 02:40 AM
Thanks for everyone's replies. I believe I will let go of some of them, even those that are getting a decent amount of traffic (over 100 views per month), and some I will keep. If anyone is interested, let me know.

I'll probably try to sell them in a variety of places and see what happens. I've already had offers on 4 of them just from being parked, but the offers were low. (around $100) Maybe I'll reconsider.

Thanks again.

burnsinternet
18th March 2007, 06:20 AM

I don't understand what you mean. Please explain.

I have less than ten symbol domains and all receive more traffic and generate more revenue than any of my Asian domains. The domains ♂♂.com and ♀♀.com are the worst performers, but they do get traffic and clicks. I don't have any smileys or hearts or anything like that.

LMAO

I still don't get it.

Drewbert
18th March 2007, 06:38 AM
If you didn't get a reply from IETF, post a copy of the email to circleid or a similar blog and see if thaty helps get some results.

alpha
18th March 2007, 07:09 AM
I don't understand what you mean. Please explain. http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/80800.html

;)

burnsinternet
18th March 2007, 07:14 AM
OK, I get it. Not burying my head in the sand, I am happy with mine. They pay for themselves.

Like a stamp collector? Maybe. It's not like I am holding hundreds of them or anything. I only have a very few.

IDNer
23rd January 2009, 06:44 AM
It's about 2 years past -

so, how many symbol IDNs you have hold now?

I personal keep all symbols and drop zero...

Rubber Duck
23rd January 2009, 08:55 AM
Keep them I guess. Not that I have any.

If those daft arsed Traffics crowd ever start on IDN, this worthless junk will be the first port of call. Hell, if Rick can blow $200K on a dot Mobi, who am I to say they won't fetch big money?

IDNer
24th January 2009, 11:09 AM
Any symbol's IDN fans survival ?

and

if any of you guys like to drops your symbol IDNs
please PM me the list before them expired -