PDA

View Full Version : Translation 住宿 Need to confirmation it is correct

chinainvest
5th March 2007, 11:24 AM
住宿.HK - accommodation/lodgings

Please give me the correct translation or essence it is used.

Thank you.

blastfromthepast
5th March 2007, 02:53 PM
[EN] lodging
[ZH] 住宿 [zhù sù]

Giant
5th March 2007, 08:44 PM
All translations are correct.

chinainvest
6th March 2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate the replies

So this means accommodation as well?

Example 1:

In the USA people used the term accommodation more often as opposed to saying lodging.

in China people used the term lodging more often as opposed to saying accommodation. (but it means the same thing)

Okay I have figured out that when you translate with online translators you can get it totally wrong on some words.

So if you typed accommodation and translated it to say simplified chinse using an online translator (babelfish, worldlingo) you end up with 适应. Translate that same chinese word back into english and you end up with the word "Adaptation" so 适应 does not mean accommodation. That leaves 住宿 to be interperated as accommodation

Weird stuff.

Prodigy
6th March 2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate the replies

So this means accommodation as well?

Example 1:

In the USA people used the term accommodation more often as opposed to saying lodging.

in China people used the term lodging more often as opposed to saying accommodation. (but it means the same thing)

Okay I have figured out that when you translate with online translators you can get it totally wrong on some words.

So if you typed accommodation and translated it to say simplified chinse using an online translator (babelfish, worldlingo) you end up with 适应. Translate that same chinese word back into english and you end up with the word "Adaptation" so 适应 does not mean accommodation.

Weird stuff.

适应 means to adapt or "to accomodate" the translation is down correct, just wrong context.

住宿 is also predominantly used in Taiwan and not in China as seen by Google Trends.

chinainvest
6th March 2007, 02:37 PM
Arr.. okay I see the context.

So you would agree the term 住宿 is used in the context of accommodation (hotels) in this instance.

"住宿 is also predominantly used in Taiwan and not in China as seen by Google Trends" What about Honk Kong? (both simplified and traditional)

Thank you for your help:)

Giant
6th March 2007, 07:50 PM
适应 means to adapt or "to accomodate" the translation is down correct, just wrong context.

住宿 is also predominantly used in Taiwan and not in China as seen by Google Trends.

ChinaStar is right. That's why Goole Trends is so usefull in spoken language research.

Arr.. okay I see the context.

So you would agree the term 住宿 is used in the context of accommodation (hotels) in this instance.

"住宿 is also predominantly used in Taiwan and not in China as seen by Google Trends" What about Honk Kong? (both simplified and traditional)

Thank you for your help:)

住宿 is a main term for exactly "accommodation" for Chinese everywhere.

住宿 is a general term for all types of accommodations -- hotels, motels..., and it's also a general term for "lodging". Taiwanese tend to use a general term more, but people in HK and China tend to use a smaller (specific) term like hotel more.

In Taiwan, people frequently say 住宿业 (lodging business). In China and HK, we tend to use 酒店业 (hotel business) instead.

When arriving the destination, most Chinese would say "let's find a hotel first", but most Taiwanese would say "let's find an accommodation first".

But when a general term is needed like "how to solve the 'accommodation' problem for tourists during the Olympic Game", only 住宿 will be used because there is no alternative.

chinainvest
7th March 2007, 02:18 PM
Thank you guys, I appreciate your time and efforts:)