PDA

View Full Version : Overstock want your Single Characters

Rubber Duck
6th March 2007, 12:32 AM
http://icann.org/correspondence/warren-to-board-28nov06.pdf

blastfromthepast
6th March 2007, 01:18 AM
It would be funny if they loose out to someone else after all their efforts.

xxbossmanxx
6th March 2007, 02:35 AM
I got their name right here: ȯ.com

:)

starting bid= 50k

BIN 222k

;)

Rubber Duck
6th March 2007, 08:45 AM
It would be funny if they loose out to someone else after all their efforts.

I think it is just funny that someone that sees themselves as a major player, hasn't got a clue about what has been going down! Mind you we can just add them to the list really.

domainguru
6th March 2007, 09:56 AM
The pertinent question is whether they are counting the punycode or unicode when deciding a name is 1-letter or not.

Rubber Duck
6th March 2007, 10:02 AM
The pertinent question is whether they are counting the punycode or unicode when deciding a name is 1-letter or not.

Well that cannot count the punycode because they would not get past the X.

Punycode is irrelevant. Even ASCII single characters go down the pipe as 7 Bytes.

mulligan
6th March 2007, 10:23 AM
Those guys have been courting ICANN for a while ... Be funny when they get kicked back as guys like Omega or similar will blow these guys out of the water at an auction. OverStock? OverShot more like

Rubber Duck
6th March 2007, 10:27 AM
I suspect his will be done by sealed tender by ICANN themselves.

The British Government nearly bankrupted the telecoms industry doing mobile licences that way.

mulligan
6th March 2007, 10:40 AM
Sealed tender isn't exactly transparent and I could see a big stink being kicked up if they go that route

Rubber Duck
6th March 2007, 10:47 AM
Just about every Publics Works contract in the World is done this way. The transparency only depends on who is in attendance at the opening.

domainguru
6th March 2007, 11:38 AM
Well that cannot count the punycode because they would not get past the X.

Punycode is irrelevant. Even ASCII single characters go down the pipe as 7 Bytes.

I think you'll find that's 7 bits.

Rubber Duck
6th March 2007, 12:00 PM
I think you'll find that's 7 bits.

Well there you go 56 bytes then, but what does it matter? It just goes to show that the only things that matter are the number of represented characters and the number of keystrokes required to generate each character. Frankly, anyone that see it any other way can only be described as a simpleton.

domainguru
6th March 2007, 01:47 PM
Well there you go 56 bytes then, but what does it matter? It just goes to show that the only things that matter are the number of represented characters and the number of keystrokes required to generate each character. Frankly, anyone that see it any other way can only be described as a simpleton.

Sorry, lost me there - how do we get to 56 bytes from 7 bits?

Rubber Duck
6th March 2007, 01:56 PM
Sorry, just getting them muddled in my head.

Had a heavy week.

Just goes to prove my point though none of this really matters. If it what the end user has to input that matters. They don't see the Punycode. Obviously multi- keystroke characters cannot be equate with single keystroke characters, but that is where it rests.