PDA

View Full Version : Google and Dreamweaver Templates

Fancy
7th March 2007, 09:54 AM
I have noticed that any sites I build based on Dreamweaver templates are much harder to get indexed. Has anyone had this problem? One site in particular has a sitemap submitted to google that includes 24 pages but only 7 have been indexed. I have optimized every page on the site and I normally get reasonable results from this but with the dreamweaver templates system it seems much more difficult to get all my pages listed.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Pete
7th March 2007, 03:27 PM
I would check the Doctype tag (top of page); this tag alone greatly changes the way many browsers interpret a page.

If you are not sure, just copy and paste one from a public page that works well.

Cheers

P.

mdw
7th March 2007, 03:47 PM
If you are not sure, just copy and paste one from a public page that works well.

No, if you don't know then leave it out! Browsers will render it without a DOCTYPE declaration and Google will index it.

I don't think Google cares, but you *should* be flogged and beaten for declaring, say, XHTML 1.0 Strict and then providing a document full of FrontPage mush. Just my opinion tho, others may have a more lenient view :)