PDA

View Full Version : Phishing filters: how do they work?

Pete
8th March 2007, 10:44 PM
I'm wondering if latin-based accentuated genuine words will suffer from those filters.

For example, metro works in english, but is spelled métro in french (subway), and may be spelled with different accents in other languages.
So will métro and similar words be flagged as phishing?

My understanding is that MS will keep a list of known phishing sites and IE7 will reference it, but those can easily change. Will they also keep a list of known/possible phishing words?

Any info or link about that will be appreciated.

tx

Fka200
8th March 2007, 11:54 PM
MSN flagged one of my IDNs as phishing/spam website, an email cleared everything up.

rhys
9th March 2007, 02:06 PM
It is based on a database of black listed sites which is continuously refreshed. Companies such as MarkMonitor provide the data at the moment. I did some of those early deals. As there are legal implications for the data feed companies and for MS, they need to take reasonable efforts to ensure that sites flagged as phishing sites actually are phishing sites. So in a nutshell, i doubt that there will be a list of "phishing" domains that are created in advance of a websites on those domains. If you get what I mean.