PDA

View Full Version : This is what I base the Japanese market on

Olney
9th March 2007, 02:03 AM
This article about Japanese fans paying $3,500 was what I based my portfolio on.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/08/michael.japan.ap/index.html

400 people paying 400,000 to get what they want.

I've recently done a TV show here in Tokyo (will air at the end of the month) about people wasting money. These are not my target customers but it shows an example that people will pay for what they want.

I'm not into uploading whole TV shows on Youtube but if it gets on there I'll put a link.
I don't think this applies to every market about luxury spending, but I & others living here know well about the kind of money thrown around for people to get what they really like.

PS
The theme of wasting money was just for the TV show.... No relation with domain investing.

blastfromthepast
9th March 2007, 02:16 AM
Japanese domainers are always asking for $XXX,XXX for their names.

IDNer
9th March 2007, 02:27 AM
Japanese domainers are always asking for $XXX,XXX for their names.

If most of the Japanese like to pay $XXX,XXX for the domain names they want always -
Will much better!

Olney
9th March 2007, 02:51 AM
I've looked at portfolios of a few Japanese domainers.
There is one main difference. Many bought domains & stopped regging. Some have 5 to 10 high quality domains & 10 or 20 more that's good.
Not saying they all even have great domains but I haven't found many that just keep continiously regging yet. (Yeah I've seen some)
If they put a high price it's because the average Japanese person would know how much that industry is worth (if it's a commercial generic)
Then some would just throw out a random price.
One of my coworkers wanted his lastname (ASCII) dot com & asked me how to go about buying it. (From a Japanese domainer)
I told him to offer $500 he was a bit shocked but gave an offer of $100 to get a reply of $3,000.
I think if it's a Japanese to Japanese sale... The price might be lower...
Personally I think there is a difference for people who sell to another to resell later
or selling to someone who's going to actually develop the domain...
This is just totally a personally theory of mine...

PS (edit)
Many of the keep registering people in the jps are companies, registrars, & IT company owners & employees.

touchring
9th March 2007, 05:16 AM
I must admit that some Japanese are fan crazy. This fan crazy culture is also evident in Taiwan, where there are fan stores everywhere. I heard of people commiting suicide when their idols get married, etc.

jacksonm
9th March 2007, 06:44 AM
Speaking of japanese fans:

http://eplus.jp/sys/web/mjpcp/index.html

I happen to own:

マイケル・ジャクソン.com

Yes, it's my real name so I have no shame in owning it. But I would sell it for very low xx,xxx EUR. :-)

If somebody can broker a deal ASAP, PM me :-)

--
jacksonm