PDA

View Full Version : chinese real-estate / property related domains

jacksonm
9th March 2007, 07:34 AM
I recently discovered that in China, the state owns all property and people only get approximately 70 year leases when they "buy". People do not get to own any property, and the state is quite liberal and quick about appropriating any property they would like to have for some new development.

How do you feel this affects the value of chinese real-estate / property related domains as compared to other markets? Is property really worth anything in China?

No wonder chinese investors look to buy foreign property...

--
jacksonm

touchring
9th March 2007, 07:43 AM
I recently discovered that in China, the state owns all property and people only get approximately 70 year leases when they "buy". People do not get to own any property, and the state is quite liberal and quick about appropriating any property they would like to have for some new development.

How do you feel this affects the value of chinese real-estate / property related domains as compared to other markets? Is property really worth anything in China?

No wonder chinese investors look to buy foreign property...

--
jacksonm

Leasehold is a common concept in many countries, not just China.

Drewbert
9th March 2007, 07:53 AM
China's the least of your worries...

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/real_estate/eminent_domain.html

http://www.emdo.blogspot.com/

touchring
9th March 2007, 08:12 AM
Singapore recently passed a law that provides for market compensation for state acquired land. Previously, the government can acquire land without giving market value compensation.

I think it's possible to assess the risk factor of a property in terms of state acquisition:

1. Property along congested roads - road widening.
2. Low rise property - more likely to be aquired as opposed to brand-new skyscraper.
3. If there's no subway in the city - property near major traffic junctions might be acquired when they build a train station.
4. Property near military installation, airport, government buildings - risks being acquired if they decide to expand the facilities.
5. Property in slum districts.

Vlaen
10th March 2007, 04:47 AM
For most cases, the Chinese government does not take property without compensation. When the local government took my mother-in-laws house they gave her a brand new one to live in.

Vlaen

SciFi
10th April 2007, 09:01 PM
Hey,
In the US the local governments can use the 'eminent domain' clause & take away your property for nothing!

;)

Giant
10th April 2007, 09:36 PM
I recently discovered that in China, the state owns all property and people only get approximately 70 year leases when they "buy". ...
--
jacksonm

Your discovery is almost obsolete now.

The president of China recently signed "物权法" into law to be effective Oct. 1st, 2007.

I saw somebody translate "物权法" as "Real Right", it's some sort of property rights. In that, land use (lease) after 70 years will be renewed automatically (?).... So, buying a house in China is no more different than buying a house in the US.

I haven't read the full document yet, but by signing "物权法" into law, China has completely distanced itself from the Great Expectation of Communism.

Viva Communism! :-)

--------------

A link for the contents of "Real Right":

http://www.lawinfochina.com/DisplayPart.asp?Type=1