PDA

View Full Version : Top spot in google in 2 weeks, no SEO

jacksonm
11th March 2007, 12:08 PM
I put a real "minisite" on this domain and got the number one spot in google in about two weeks, with absolutely no SEO (view source and see), no incoming links, no submissions, nothing. I did mention it in an IRC channel once or twice, and the channels are probably logged and indexed by google. That's the only thing I can think of...

http://www.perseestä.com

Perseestä is a quite commonly used swear term in finnish, meaning that something "sucks". Literally translated, it means "from the ass".

Setting up wildcard DNS allows you to automatically answer all sorts of constructed jokes:

on.perseestä.com - on = "is" (or "are" in some cases)
miehet.on.perseestä.com (men suck)
ihan.perseestä.com (totally sucks)
etc...

Not quite sure how to monetize something like this, but still the ranking is quite amazing.

--
mike

Rubber Duck
11th March 2007, 12:20 PM
Top rankings are more achievable with less popular terms.

It may not always pay to try to develop your best terms.

Finnish is non-western European along with Slavic languages such as Czech and Polish. This means that Google does not ignore the accents during search as it does with French, German and Spanish. This is actually likely to give an advantage to these terms over the Western European ones. The only problem I see it with Eastern Europe and the Nordic Countries is that there is less slant towards dot com in these places. That is one of the reasons I cleared my Czech Portfolio. They use dot CZ a lot more than dot com.

jacksonm
11th March 2007, 12:29 PM
The only problem I see it with Eastern Europe and the Nordic Countries is that there is less slant towards dot com in these places.

As I mentioned yesterday about radio advertising (sites with consumer goods), they slant heavily toward .com in Finland because it's easier to say/sing and sounds better to the ear.

Add that to the fact that it's illegal in Finland to register .fi names for resale, or to buy them if you are not a business, combined with 3 year min reg term, and there are a whole lot of companies that use .com.

Also, in most cases companies will by .fi and .com and set their site up to answer to either name.

thegenius1
11th March 2007, 02:44 PM
Top rankings are more achievable with less popular terms.

It may not always pay to try to develop your best terms.

True !

domainguru
11th March 2007, 05:11 PM
Naturally lesser terms are easier to get ranked well with than with less popular terms.

But coming back to the topic title, the real point here is that the guy has achieved top ranking after two weeks. That "smells" only too familiar and is called the "initial indexing boost". After another month or two, the ranking will slide. Google do not give long term rankings to websites which have no incoming links. Its as simple as that.

domainguru
15th March 2007, 10:23 AM
And where is it ranked now in google? - nowhere as far as I can see.

We need to move beyond this "I can get miraculous rankings by doing nothing" argument. Life just ain't that simple.

Rubber Duck
15th March 2007, 10:36 AM
Some of us live is a complex universe where space and time merge in a very strange and bizarre manner.

Others live in a kind of two dimensional black and white world, a bit like a chequers board.

jacksonm
15th March 2007, 11:18 AM
And where is it ranked now in google? - nowhere as far as I can see.

We need to move beyond this "I can get miraculous rankings by doing nothing" argument. Life just ain't that simple.

I can't find it anywhere, either! So much for that :-)

Anyhow, I think you missed the point of my post. It did not contain any hidden information between the lines. Purely stating what happened and being amazed at it. That was all.

domainguru
15th March 2007, 11:54 AM
I can't find it anywhere, either! So much for that :-)

Anyhow, I think you missed the point of my post. It did not contain any hidden information between the lines. Purely stating what happened and being amazed at it. That was all.

You provided the beginning of the story. I provided the end.

Nothing amazing about it really. Search engines often boost new sites in the first month, before "dumping" them. It has been mentioned plenty of times at IDNF. Most of here have even had ND-parked domains at the top of google at one time or other.

Rubber Duck
15th March 2007, 12:01 PM
You provided the beginning of the story. I provided the end.

Nothing amazing about it really. Search engines often boost new sites in the first month, before "dumping" them. It has been mentioned plenty of times at IDNF. Most of here have even had ND-parked domains at the top of google at one time or other.

Yes, you might have thought that the font of all knowledge would have known that. Well, perhaps he does. You don't always get told everything.