PDA

View Full Version : commentary on pricing attitudes

jacksonm
12th March 2007, 01:28 PM
Hi,
I notice that there seems to be a certain degree of animosity towards newbies appearing in the threads here, every now and then. I'd like to comment on that. Keep in mind that I'm attacking the *ideas* here, not the people representing them.

One of the things I have picked up on is that you obviously don't like it when people sell domains for cheap when you think they are obviously worth much more. You think it hurts your chance to make big bucks by tomorrow. Maybe the market just isn't that mature yet...

This is an international market. A few bucks profit to one man may be enough to feed his hungry family for a month, while it may not even buy you a big mac in your country. This is not the EU market where we set ridiculous price tariffs on chinese goods in an effort to protect our own disproportionate wealth, it's an unregulated international market.

if you think a domain is selling too cheaply, then buy it yourself and be happy! If you are upset because you can't even afford to buy these gems on the cheap anymore as you have already overextended yourself or the WAF is constraining you, then Johnny is waiting for your PM. Be happy that some of us newbies can still buy something cheaply before the market explodes (in case it ever does).

The fact that (some) newbies are coming and making a quick, small buck is a sign that the market is at least starting up. Any activity is better than none at all; it's a sign of health. Trading between speculators before there are a regular number of substantial sales to end-users is still nothing more than speculation, and as a speculator you should be prepared to lose up to 100% of your speculative investments at any time.

As for me, I'm not in for a quick, small buck (but even that is relative). My strategy at this point is acquisition and I'm probably not selling anything unless the market heats up. My goal is to make some money toward the end of the year, but I don't really expect to achieve it as it seems that the market is just not here yet, my portfolio is too weak, and I don't have a large budget to do secondary acquisitions. Still, I hope to make something.

Rubber Duck
12th March 2007, 02:08 PM
If you are just looking in the threads, you are probably looking in the wrong place.

I have done Mid $xx,xxx this month already. Try to track that down on the sales threads.

Sellers as well as buyers have their own reasons for keep sales out of the public eye at the moment.

If you have quality somebody will be looking for it real soon.

sunsei21
12th March 2007, 02:26 PM
its obvious that every one on this forum has their own motives for what they do its not really about what everyone else is doing someone sells cheap so what its no different than someone making a nice sale and wanting to keep it private . obviously there wont be any really large sales without some nice traffic coming in and 1 or 2 nice end user sales even though a lot of ascii domain are not end user sales but domainer to domainer all this would publicize Idns more .

touchring
12th March 2007, 02:32 PM
One of the things I have picked up on is that you obviously don't like it when people sell domains for cheap when you think they are obviously worth much more. You think it hurts your chance to make big bucks by tomorrow. Maybe the market just isn't that mature yet...

Have you had bad experience? So far, i've not seen anyone scold off a buyer for not making a buy the first or second time.

Might happen in some parts of China, common actually - like getting nasty remarks by a KFC or McDonalds' staff for not ordering anything, or just ordering a cuppa hot tea (happened to me once)! :p

sunsei21
12th March 2007, 02:39 PM
Have you had bad experience? So far, i've not seen anyone scold off a buyer for not making a buy the first or second time.

Might happen in some parts of China, common actually - like getting nasty remarks by a KFC or McDonalds' staff for not ordering anything, or just ordering a cuppa hot tea (happened to me once)! :p

lol

jacksonm
12th March 2007, 03:04 PM

Hi,
No, I think you misunderstood me - probably my fault for not being clear enough. And no, nobody has been mad at me for not buying something which I reviewed.

What I meant to say is that it seems like some portfolio holders are aggravated at some sellers because the portfolio holder feels that the sellers are selling domains too cheaply.

Hopefully that was clear :-)

Olney
12th March 2007, 03:08 PM
You won't get that feeling from me, sell what you want, when you want for whatever price you want. It's your investment...

touchring
12th March 2007, 03:08 PM
What I meant to say is that it seems like some portfolio holders are aggravated at some sellers because the portfolio holder feels that the sellers are selling domains too cheaply.

Hopefully that was clear :-)

For instance?