PDA

View Full Version : Just discovered this. Got me a little worried.

sarcle
23rd October 2005, 01:55 PM
Okay so now I am getting a little alarmed. I discovered this by mistake actually.  I was looking up korean domains and noticed they have a special symbol for the ".com" It looks like this. "컴"  For example type in these symbols "롯데 닷컴" into a translator.  AltaVista Link (http://world.altavista.com/tr).  You will see it translate as "RosPlace.com"  Are they going to bypass letters all together?  In that case it would make all of our domains truly worthless. 

Someone one shed some light on this for me please.  Thanks.

Rubber Duck
23rd October 2005, 02:48 PM
Not sure if Korea is doing this, but China certainly uses local characters to represent the .CN and has it own version of dot com and dot net that resolve using the current plug-in.
It is a Balkanisation of the net to some extent, but China seem keen to go along with ICANN provided ICANN makes some consessions. The first of these is to give China and others non-AscII ccTLD extensions direct on the DNS. I think their versions of dot com and dot net will then effectively become .com.cn and .net.cn.

Wondered whether this apparent confusion is something to do with the Koreans using local characters for their ccTLD. If they are, it will only work with their own registeries plug-in.

In the longer-term it would seem that the browser software will translate the first level (TLD) into local characters and back again.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

sarcle
23rd October 2005, 03:09 PM
Good that's what I wanted to here. As long as there are not plans to erraticate the .com and .net's in Asia.

Thanks for the info.

Rubber Duck
23rd October 2005, 09:24 PM
Good that's what I wanted to here. As long as there are not plans to erraticate the .com and .net's in Asia.

Thanks for the info.

No, I have been following the ICANN workshops for a while it all seems to be going pretty smoothly, albeit rather slowly.

There has been a lot of discussion on how to do the first level in local characters. Because TLDs require multi-channel translation, whereas single channel will largely suffice for ccTLDs, they are adopting different solutions. It would seem that most countries with get a non-ASCII TLD, India may get as many as Ten.

First level for dot com and the other TLDs will probably take a bit longer and be incorporated into your browser as a look up table. Browser will also need to select a language for incoming display. That is as I understand it.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

sarcle
23rd October 2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks that's really good info. I would still love to see a sneak peak at I.E. 7 beta. I'm sure there is a few copies floating around.

gammascalper
23rd October 2005, 10:29 PM
Okay so now I am getting a little alarmed. I discovered this by mistake actually. I was looking up korean domains and noticed they have a special symbol for the ".com" It looks like this. "컴" For example type in these symbols "롯데 닷컴" into a translator. AltaVista Link. You will see it translate as "RosPlace.com" Are they going to bypass letters all together? In that case it would make all of our domains truly worthless.

Someone one shed some light on this for me please. Thanks.

This is confusing to me...

Does this mean that '컴' is translated into 'com' when typed into the URL bar?

Rubber Duck
23rd October 2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks that's really good info. I would still love to see a sneak peak at I.E. 7 beta. I'm sure there is a few copies floating around.

Don't think there was much to see with Beta1. Hopefully Beta2 will be released soon. That should be much easier to get hold of and give you a much better idea of the completed thing!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Rubber Duck
23rd October 2005, 11:28 PM
Okay so now I am getting a little alarmed. I discovered this by mistake actually. I was looking up korean domains and noticed they have a special symbol for the ".com" It looks like this. "컴" For example type in these symbols "롯데 닷컴" into a translator. AltaVista Link. You will see it translate as "RosPlace.com" Are they going to bypass letters all together? In that case it would make all of our domains truly worthless.

Someone one shed some light on this for me please. Thanks.

No not with the versign plug-in and I am not really sure about Korea, but China definitetly has a plug-in that allows this. I think it actuallly points to .com.cn but resolves in China as though it is only .com. However, all this will be blown away with the release of EI 7.0 as there will be no more plug-ins.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Rubber Duck
23rd October 2005, 11:33 PM

Not with the Verisign plug in, but there are other plug-ins in Asia that support translation of th first level, in fact in China there is an equivalent to dot com that currently resolves to .com.cn, but all that will be blown away with EI 7.0 as there will be no more plug-ins.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

sarcle
24th October 2005, 12:02 AM
That's certainly inspiring news, now if Bill will (whip his servent's) I mean ask his programmers to kindly work a little faster.

;D

Chris
30th December 2005, 06:35 PM
Great question and discussion. It answers quite a bit that I've been wondering also.

So there won't be the need to switch from chinese input to english to append the .com then right?

i.e. I thought to type 成都.com you had to:
1) Type using Chinese input 成都
2) Switch to english to type .com

Little plug and you've got me curious with the "Sold" beside it, nice sale I bet :)

Cheers,
Chris

Rubber Duck
30th December 2005, 07:26 PM
Great question and discussion. It answers quite a bit that I've been wondering also.

So there won't be the need to switch from chinese input to english to append the .com then right?

Little plug and you've got me curious with the "Sold" beside it, nice sale I bet :)

Cheers,
Chris

The keyboard switch is not something you should worry about. IDN.IDN will be implemented in 2006 without much doubt. The first level will just be an Alias of existing registery so dot com will appear in Chinese Characters and so will any other extension that supports Chinese characters.

If you are referring to "Chengdu" dot com. This domain is being sold knowingly below its true worth to try and get the market rolling. OK my mark-up is something like12,000% but this domain will be worth at least ten times that amount in two years and possibly 100x within 5 years. The sale of the domain is all linked in with trying to get a publicity plug which is why it is being sold for a mere 2K. I doubt the buyer would sell if you offered double that amount tomorrow.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Chris
30th December 2005, 10:47 PM
Good to know, great forum also :) My hat's off to the administrator, I've been swimming in IDN today & chatting it up with Sarcle.

PM on the way shortly Dwrixon.

Cheers,
Chris

touchring
23rd January 2006, 08:51 PM

Cheers,
Chris

If you are using pinyin input, i found out sometime ago that there's no need to switch to English when entering .com/.net, at least for Firefox, the .com/.net (appears as red underline) goes in after clicking enter.

If Firefox can do it, i see no reason why IE can't - they own the IME anyway. It would be good if someone with Microsoft contacts, help point out this very crucial requirement. It would be ideal with the .com can be added "automatically". :-p

See attached image.