PDA

View Full Version : telnic won't launch IDNs

jacksonm
12th March 2007, 08:40 PM
FYI,
Just got a mail back from telnic: they will launch with ascii only.

IDNCowboy
12th March 2007, 08:43 PM
FYI,
Just got a mail back from telnic: they will launch with ascii only.
.tel won't be popular anyway in asia

jacksonm
12th March 2007, 08:46 PM
It will be popular all over if they build support for NAPTR records into skype, and only for .tel domains. I could imagine some sort of behind the scenes deal like that between skype and telnic...

IDNCowboy
12th March 2007, 08:54 PM
It will be popular all over if they build support for NAPTR records into skype, and only for .tel domains. I could imagine some sort of behind the scenes deal like that between skype and telnic...
People have listed so many reasons about .mobi etc etc in japan as well - doesn't mean people in japan will wake up one day and remember 1000 extra extensions

jacksonm
12th March 2007, 09:11 PM
People have listed so many reasons about .mobi etc etc in japan as well - doesn't mean people in japan will wake up one day and remember 1000 extra extensions

People won't need to remember or even know the extension. Telnic is positioning .tel support to be embedded into applications. For example, in skype you could search for "John Doe", and skype would fetch the NAPTR record from johndoe.tel, populating memory with the actual contact details, allowing you to click a button for call, msn, icq, or save the contact details, etc. All that would be completely invisible to the user, he just types "john doe" into a search field and clicks "search".

The really bad thing about this idea, though, is the limited namespace. Out of 100 John Does, only one of them will be able to get a .tel record, at least with his real name.

Rubber Duck
12th March 2007, 11:21 PM
Tel Nic obviously has no interest in most of the World's major telecoms markets.
The US is the their universe. Good luck Tel Nic. Most of the innovative technologies for telecoms get road tested in China. This extension must be for Paleontologists.

alpha
12th March 2007, 11:34 PM
..The really bad thing about this idea, though, is the limited namespace. Out of 100 John Does, only one of them will be able to get a .tel record, at least with his real name.

erm, is it just me, or is that like having a paper phone directory with only one listing for each same name.

wtf use is that? that is dumb

Rubber Duck
12th March 2007, 11:37 PM
erm, is it just me, or is that like having a paper phone directory with only one listing for each same name.

wtf use is that? that is dumb

Alternatively, they could do "YourIPAddress".tel :)

Drewbert
13th March 2007, 01:56 AM
Boy, I'm REALLY looking forward to all these calls from people dialing bradpitt.tel on the off-chance I'm the same one.

touchring
13th March 2007, 04:03 AM
Boy, I'm REALLY looking forward to all these calls from people dialing bradpitt.tel on the off-chance I'm the same one.

Great idea. Instead of type-ins, now we got call ins. Worth looknig into. :p