PDA

View Full Version : "keyword Phrases" Meta Tag Name Attribute

Plutonio
16th March 2007, 07:39 PM
Is this type of meta tag depreciated or simply invalid?

I've got a client using the following meta tags related to keywords with the syntax as shown.

<meta name="keywords" content="keywords keyword syntax is not comma separated">
<meta name="keyword phrases" content="keyword phrase, another keyword phrase, syntax is phrases, separated by commas">

My assumptions are the following:

Meta "keyword phrases" is not only invalid HTML (name attribute must not include spaces) but seems to be non-existent as a means to optimize.
How do you think search engines handle that line of code?

Also, I've always used the syntax shown in the content attribute of the "keyword phrases" tag above as the syntax of the keywords meta tag like so:
<meta name="keywords" content="keyword phrase, another keyword phrase, single, keywords, following">

Is that the best option for the keywords meta tag? I've seen it without commas. How do search engines tend to treat both syntaxes?
Also, am I correct in saying that spiders put more weight on the keywords/phrases that appear first in the content attribute?

Thanks much,

Zimor
16th March 2007, 07:49 PM
My guess is that the SEs would treat "keyword phrases" pretty much the same as they treat the "keywords" META... that is, they'll basically ignore it.

Most SEs don't even seem to bother indexing the keywords META at all. Among the few who even index it to start with, none give it much importance. Format it however you prefer; it will make no discernable difference.

domainguru
16th March 2007, 08:10 PM
Tell your client he is a plonker. There is no such thing as the "keyword phrases" META tag.

Why is it April 1st every week at IDNF? :)

As with anything HTML, consults w3.org for the facts ...

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html

mdw
16th March 2007, 08:35 PM
for some reason I'm suddenly dying to find some links to click on about credit cards or garden furniture - can anyone help?

domainguru
16th March 2007, 08:40 PM
for some reason I'm suddenly dying to find some links to click on about credit cards or garden furniture - can anyone help?

yeah, how f**** weird was that link? Guess that is why he posted as his actual text didn't make much sense ...

jacksonm
16th March 2007, 09:16 PM
My guess is that the SEs would treat "keyword phrases" pretty much the same as they treat the "keywords" META... that is, they'll basically ignore it.

Most SEs don't even seem to bother indexing the keywords META at all. Among the few who even index it to start with, none give it much importance. Format it however you prefer; it will make no discernable difference.

I disagree, as far as google is concerned.

Google does look at keywords and they help ranking if:

- keywords contains less than 12-15 commas and less than ~20 words
- most of the keywords can also be found in the text on the front page of the site

Google will drop your ranking heavily if you violate the above, e.g. stuffing meta keywords with 50 words, or having few enough keywords but only one or two of them appear in the front page text.

I have one sight that's been at the top for 3 years or so, hovering between 1st and 7th position, 95% of the time in first place.

Also, the meta description should be less than 20 words and contain same/similar words as what can be found on the front page. I keep mine like that, and it's always used in the search result.

Google rankings are a combination of keywords, description, content, number of incoming links, and quality of incoming links (links coming from sites which already have high rankings are very good). Google will also punish you if you build your own link farms to your own sites on a small set of servers in an attempt to boost your ranking. For example, if you have 5 hosts across the globe and 30 domains, and you link all 30 domains on all 5 hosts, they will drop you.

At least the above has worked for me. Don't try to patronize googlebot and he won't patronize you.

domainguru
16th March 2007, 09:37 PM
I disagree, as far as google is concerned.

Google does look at keywords and they help ranking if:

- keywords contains less than 12-15 commas and less than ~20 words
- most of the keywords can also be found in the text on the front page of the site

Google will drop your ranking heavily if you violate the above, e.g. stuffing meta keywords with 50 words, or having few enough keywords but only one or two of them appear in the front page text.

I have one sight that's been at the top for 3 years or so, hovering between 1st and 7th position, 95% of the time in first place.

Also, the meta description should be less than 20 words and contain same/similar words as what can be found on the front page. I keep mine like that, and it's always used in the search result.

Google rankings are a combination of keywords, description, content, number of incoming links, and quality of incoming links (links coming from sites which already have high rankings are very good). Google will also punish you if you build your own link farms to your own sites on a small set of servers in an attempt to boost your ranking. For example, if you have 5 hosts across the globe and 30 domains, and you link all 30 domains on all 5 hosts, they will drop you.

At least the above has worked for me. Don't try to patronize googlebot and he won't patronize you.

That's absolute tripe.

Google use the <META description> tag when displaying search results i.e. it actually displays what is inside the <META description> tag in search results.

Google doesn't care a hoot about the <META keywords> tag and certainly doesn't use it to help rank sites. That is so 1999.

jacksonm
16th March 2007, 09:48 PM
That's absolute tripe.

Google use the <META description> tag when displaying search results i.e. it actually displays what is inside the <META description> tag in search results.

Google doesn't care a hoot about the <META keywords> tag and certainly doesn't use it to help rank sites. That is so 1999.

Wonder how long it will take googlebot to index

http://domainguru.isgay.com

BTW, you could try the link to remove your name from the site. Maybe you should try it a few hundred times or so, just to be sure...

alpha
16th March 2007, 09:52 PM
ouch

domainguru
16th March 2007, 09:56 PM
Wonder how long it will take googlebot to index

http://domainguru.isgay.com

BTW, you could try the link to remove your name from the site. Maybe you should try it a few hundred times or so, just to be sure...

And what's wrong with being gay exactly? Are you homophobic?

btw, the word is "site" not "sight" ...