PDA

View Full Version : Suppose you buy leather.jp in japanese but english "leather.jp" exists

IDNCowboy
17th February 2006, 03:32 PM
and seems like a store...

do u still buy the domain? COme on guys its "Leather" (used as an example) or do you just let that prize domain sit there?

idnowner
17th February 2006, 04:00 PM
and seems like a store...

do u still buy the domain? COme on guys its "Leather" (used as an example) or do you just let that prize domain sit there?

"Leather" in most any language is worth getting!

huronargentino
17th February 2006, 04:17 PM
Well, I do own Leather.jp in japanese....
レザー.jp
I was selling it also, still no offers but good traffic.
I think its worth. I talked to one of the most important tm and patents lawer and told me that there was no problem at all in that terms and some different ones in chinese and japanese.
There are lot of "internal" issues about TM in japanese and chinese.
Then i will try to make a kind of interview with him and will post it so you can have another point of view.

IDNCowboy
17th February 2006, 04:21 PM
Well, I do own Leather.jp in japanese....
レザー.jp
I was selling it also, still no offers but good traffic.
I think its worth. I talked to one of the most important tm and patents lawer and told me that there was no problem at all in that terms and some different ones in chinese and japanese.
There are lot of "internal" issues about TM in japanese and chinese.
Then i will try to make a kind of interview with him and will post it so you can have another point of view.
huron... u don't get the point

I'm talking about if there is an existing site on the english version of the leather.jp .... then they would probably wipo etc

<- owns fur.jp in japanese :P lol

huronargentino
17th February 2006, 04:47 PM
I got the point
But suppose they have a trademark in english for example for "leather"
if they dont have it in japanese they cant do anything.

thefabfive
17th February 2006, 04:49 PM
I don't know about the .jp. You would have to deal with the Japanese registry and their laws. If it was .com there would be no question you go for it.

If the name is particularly good you may consider getting a trademark on it in Japan to protect yourself (only for extremely valuable domains). Kind of a preemptive strike against any WIPO action.