IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th May 2019, 08:40 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough
Nothing New in Over a Year from Verisign

I used to check the quarterly and annual shareholder transcripts on the DAY they were released, because some well-informed analyst might have a question about the IDN rollouts. That doesn't happen anymore.

Nothing. No one cares when Verisign is going to release these.

2018Q3:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/421...pt?part=single

Nothing. Nada. No mention of the "live" Hebrew, Japanese, or IDNs in general.

2018Q4:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/423...pt?part=single

This is it, and I don't know under what restrictions their pricing is, but wasn't reflected in Japanese premiums:

Quote:
.web is not a regulated TLD like .com is or even like .net is. It's a TLD that would be operating under the new form the new so-called New gTLD Registry Agreement. And those agreements do not limit pricing similar to our IDNs, which are also signed up to the same form of agreement.
2019Q1:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/425...pt?part=single

Quote:
...nothing...
There's a certain point at which you realize that you have made an investment that will likely never materialize in your lifetime, but you will continue to pour capital into for as long as you can. It may indeed be insanity.
Old 15th May 2019, 05:52 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Re: Nothing New in Over a Year from Verisign

FWIW I’ve moved on and dropped most of mine, even the so called premium ones. Little point throwing good money after bad.
Some you win, most you lose - its the way speculative investing goes.
Old 15th May 2019, 07:22 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

we should have invested in BTC
Old 15th May 2019, 07:46 AM

Kent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enough

Wow, the mood is really glum around here.
Old 15th May 2019, 10:39 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I jumped in in December, bought at 3.3k
Old 15th May 2019, 02:19 PM

Kent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enough

I don't really care what Verisign does at this point. What's important imo is native speaker acceptance, uptake and the advancement of IDN e-mail solutions.
Old 15th May 2019, 08:38 PM
Semi-retired

whatever. Enjoy your life is the best advice I can give
Old 16th May 2019, 06:36 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent99 View Post
I don't really care what Verisign does at this point. What's important imo is native speaker acceptance, uptake and the advancement of IDN e-mail solutions.
right.... email will never be solved IMO or at least not in 20 years but the domains can still be used.

There isn't much growth though. The number of IDNs is growing but so is the number of domains. There is no relative growth in the IDN market.

Last edited by 123; 16th May 2019 at 06:45 AM..
Old 16th May 2019, 07:11 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
FWIW I’ve moved on and dropped most of mine, even the so called premium ones. Little point throwing good money after bad.
Some you win, most you lose - its the way speculative investing goes.
This is true, but what's weird is that after twelve years I'm still in the black (granted, to the tune of about 12 cents an hour when you factor in the learning curve). But play money has never been so fun.

Quote:
Meh, so boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent99 View Post
I think these things are all important, and Verisign is as far as I'm willing to go in terms of TLDs. The launches of their gTLDs in Russian, Indian, Thai, etc. are fundamental to the other things for players in the .com and .net space. If you don't care about what Verisign is doing, that's cool, but then you have reached some zen point at which I have never been prepared to go: where the TLD doesn't matter.

Quote:
right.... email will never be solved IMO or at least not in 20 years but the domains can still be used.

There isn't much growth though. The number of IDNs is growing but so is the number of domains. There is no relative growth in the IDN market.
I think the email risk is far overstated. Email is relegated to spam while things people care about come via SMS/text/apps. The biggest risk going forward is geopolitical, and Verisign's commitment.

I think the lack of IDN growth is largely related to what appears to be abandonment by Verisign (though it's important to note that the quick uptake of both Japanese and Korean names was mostly due to discounts provided by local registrars... that means that Verisign had a plan, and provided a marketing solution based on devaluing the product, aiming for an uptick in revenues on renewals. That didn't work, and Verisign apparently didn't have a backup plan).

Last edited by clipper; 16th May 2019 at 07:29 AM..
Old 16th May 2019, 07:38 PM

I like IDNs but it's the most underperforming class of domains. They are absolutely dead globally which surprises me. Poor performance could have been expected but essentially a non-existent market not in 2019.

I think I have some ideas why that could be maybe I will share them later.

At least as fun as stamp collecting and about as profitable but hundred times more expensive

I don't think the biggest risk is geopolitical. I don't think any of the major language economies will disappear, Russian might the the only language at risk.

I think the biggest risks are user preferences and technology.

Last edited by 123; 16th May 2019 at 07:46 PM..
Old 17th May 2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
I like IDNs but it's the most underperforming class of domains...

I don't think the biggest risk is geopolitical. I don't think any of the major language economies will disappear, Russian might the the only language at risk.

I think the biggest risks are user preferences and technology.
Good points. Just to be clear, I'm not saying that any of the established economies will disappear, but that the Age of Globalisation may be coming to an abrupt end, where it will be much harder to transact (in affiliate-style marketing) in other countries.

It was never easy for outsiders to transact the East. Even Japan has always required a physical presence. I strongly believe that this would have unraveled differently if Japan had a more Western-style openness to business transactions with entities from other countries.

But as the EU train wreck happens in slow motion before our eyes, the balkanization of established Eurozone "free trade zones" is going to lead to much more difficult monetization than we see today.

As far as performance, I don't consider sales the measure. This market never had enough liquidity to assess it on sales performance. I've sold three or four in the $X,XXX range, but mostly I've done pretty well with affiliate programs in IDNs, and still do. 2018 was only behind 2009 in affiliate revenue. But the cracks in globalisation are showing, as my top performer last year stopped accepting Russian traffic in December.

As far as user preferences and technology goes, Jose was certainly right in saying that App revenue would take over (he was also right on BTC, incidentally). But every app on every network in every language still relies on a domain name, if not for marketing, then for data storage, retrieval, and processing. If you can see a way away from the DNS, then you can see farther than me.

Last edited by clipper; 17th May 2019 at 04:48 AM..
Old 17th May 2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
At least as fun as stamp collecting and about as profitable but hundred times more expensive
Oh, WAAAAY more fun and profitable than stamps. But both were less profitable or interesting than coins, in terms of AGW or historical trivia.

Last edited by clipper; 17th May 2019 at 05:19 AM..
Old 17th May 2019, 06:28 PM

Did anyone make money with IDNs? I think I am one of the few who could liquidate my portfolio and get a bit more than my initial investment. At least today, who knows what it will be worth 2 years from now?